Premed 101 Forums

Housing - Meds House

Guest amivore

Guest amivore

Hi 2010ers!

Congrats on your acceptances - and if you're still on the wait list, good luck :D For those of you looking into housing for next year, let me tell you about the famous Medical House.

What is Meds House? It's a stately Victorian mansion located 30 seconds from Lake Ontario, and a minute away from classes (we've timed it, I swear :P ). Housing 16 medical students from first to fourth year, it's not only a student residence, but a social club. Founded in 1933, it is one of the oldest institutions associated with Queen’s School of Medicine. Now in its 73rd year, Meds House alumni can be found in all fields of medicine worldwide. Alumni remain proud of their tradition, and often return to participate in social events (even the current Dean of Medicine!)

Rent includes everything - heat, electricity, and even lunches & dinners Monday to Friday (good times are free). If you're looking for a cheap place to live and a way to meet students in all years, not to mention tons of alumni contacts, look no further :D

Check us out at http://www.medshouse.com. For information on renting, or for tours of the house, please call the house at 613-546-6504, or email Amy at 5ar11@qlink.queensu.ca. Spots are filled first come, first served.

:rollin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mdtobe

Wow, medshouse sounds pretty sweet! What's it like living with so many people though? And how does the cooking work? Is it quiet enough to study in?

I had a blast there at the martini party and everyone seemed really fun and friendly. It seems like a great option but I'd love to hear more about what it's like living there throughout the year.

So pumped to start next year! Thanks a lot.

Guest amivore

Hi mdtobe!

Thanks for the interest in the House. I did live there last year for first year, and chose it mainly based on being out of the country and it being the easiest choice, but I haven't regretted my decision at all :D

What's it like to live with lots of people? An experience ;) A little like rez, but with a different edge and with much more benefits. There's usually 15 - 16 medical students from all four years, but everyone's always coming and going so it's never overwhelming. The rooms are quiet enough that you can study in them; and on the flip side, if you're feeling a little lonely, you just need to go down to the living room for company. And it's not very hard to convince anyone to go out for a drink or two, we're a fun bunch :P

We just got two new cooks, and after a bit of a learning curve, we've evened out any glitches and we'll be doing a set meal-plan next year. The ladies come in the morning and make both lunch and dinner - lunch is served hot, and it's when out-of-house members from all the classes can purchase a meal plan and get together, so it's quite a social event (complete with fooz ball tournaments :D ). Lunch usually consists of soup, salad, main course (anything from lasagna to stir fries, sandwiches, pizza, etc) and dessert. Dinner is put in the fridge for later, and heated up at your convenience - the ladies are outdoing themselves with pork roasts, chicken parmigiana, etc.

One of the added benefits of Meds House is that it's not just a residence but a social club, and we encourage students from all years to join up as out-of-house members. We throw a couple parties a semester for the whole school (including the infamous Halloween party, and of course the Martini parties), and also have Christmas and Winter formals for members where all food and drinks are included in rent/out-of-house fees. The in-house gatherings are when the Alumni show up, and the brown-nosers can go to work :rollin (active alumni include the head of urology, surgeons, obstetricians and, of course, the current Dean of Medicine - and that's just in Kingston, we have 700 past alumni spread out worldwide).

Anyways, I'll end my little novel now, but thanks for the questions! Keep them coming :)

Guest mdtobe

Thanks so much!

Medshouse sounds like a really cool place to live! It's too bad that you moved out - I DID here that that some awfully cute girls lived there. :hat

So do people stay clean enough? And is there parking if I have a car? And is there room for me to keep my own food too? Ok, that's probably more than enough questions for you, but I'm sure other people are curious too. I just want to make sure I make up my mind before the place fills up

Bring on the fooze!

Guest amivore

Haha, I'm not going to lie, mdtobe, but Meds House did have a bit of an estrogen surge last year, with six first year girls joining, and only one first year guy, but I don't think either sex complained ;) Everything has it's way of evening out in the end . . .

Anyways, as per your cleaning question, chores are assigned on a weekly basis, and can range from recycling/garbage (approximately a ten minute task - score!) to sweeping/mopping, girls or boys bathroom, etc. (more like 20 - 30 minutes per week, but at least all the tasks are split up :) ) People just have to remember that it's a co-op of sorts - i.e. everyone has to contribute to make the House work, and it works out well.

Parking is available for in-house members for sure, and any spots left over are allocated to out-of-house members. As for food, we all have our own shelves in the communal fridges, although the third and fourth years are allocated a little more room, as they're off the meal plan because of clerkship. Although for the first and second years, there is more than enough room for weekly snacks and weekend meals in fridge space.

Don't worry about the questions - keep them coming! I may be a little biased in my responses, because I found Meds House a truly wonderful experience in first year. The only reason I moved out is because I was offered a place closer to school (and there is only a few houses - for all others, trust me, Meds House is the closest - we've timed it at under a minute to classes, I swear :P ). But we understand that housing is a big decision, so the more questions, the better. We want to make sure that Meds House is a good fit for you as well, although the variety of members assures that . . .

But thanks again! Looking forward to meeting you next year :lol

Guest ryanmahaffey

Congrats on getting into Med School and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall. Ok... so I'm sure you guys have tons of questions about where to live and what Kingston is like. I'm the current Meds House President and I want to tell you a bit about the house.

To open with: Meds House is the BEST housing deals in Kingston - period. Meds House is not residence, it is not-for-profit student medical housing with rooms for 15 people. The house is a 19th century Victorian mansion overlooking Lake Ontario and Kingston Yacht Club.

The house is under a 90 second walk to campus and only a 1 minute walk from Kingston General Hospital. We are so close to campus that doctors often rent parking spots at the house as it is closer than some of the parking lots on campus!!!!

Secondly, the house is cheap - especially considering the location. With rent between 495/month for a double and 600 for a single (including 10 meals a week, utilities, TV, and all general house expenses). This is VERY cheap by any standards. I have many friends in Kingston paying 650/month in rent, but by the time they add on utilities, heat, TV, internet, cleaning supplies etc., they are well over 850/month and that doesn't include the 10 meals a week. The other great deal about meds house is that summer rent is only 250/month, so when you aren't here in the summer you aren't paying big bucks for an empty apartment. I easily save $4500.00 a year living at Meds House! How can Meds House be so cheap? Well it is not for profit housing. What we charge in rent is just enough to keep the house going and is not meant to be making money for the landlord. Meds House also has a number of very successful fundraising events that help to pay the bills.

But perhaps the greatest thing about Meds House is the social side. I've met some of my best friends in Meds House, and have learned a great deal about medicine, residency, what to study for exams, and CARMS from the upper year students. Included in your rent are the meds house social fees, which include multiple 'all you can eat, all you can drink' formal parties, TGIF bbq's, fooze ball tournaments and many other great events. The house is huge, so even when there are social events going on in the living room you can still easily study in your room!

If anyone has any questions about meds house feel free to contact myself or any of the other house members (see names and numbers below). We still have some great rooms available!

Cheers and congrats on getting into Queen's,

Ryan

Rob: 613.483.6230

Katie: 613.539.7543

Guest ryanmahaffey

Congrats on getting into Med School and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall. Ok... so I'm sure you guys have tons of questions about where to live and what Kingston is like. I'm the current Meds House President and I want to tell you a bit about the house.

To open with: Meds House is the BEST housing deals in Kingston - period. Meds House is not residence, it is not-for-profit student medical housing with rooms for 15 students. The house is a 19th century Victorian mansion overlooking Lake Ontario and Kingston Yacht Club.

The house is under a 90 second walk to campus and only a 1 minute walk from Kingston General Hospital. We are so close to campus that doctors often rent parking spots at the house as it is closer than some of the parking lots on campus!!!!

Secondly, the house is cheap - especially considering the location. With rent between 495/month for a double and 600 for a single (including 10 meals a week, utilities, TV, and all general house expenses). This is VERY cheap by any standards. I have many friends in Kingston paying 650/month in rent, but by the time they add on utilities, heat, TV, internet, cleaning supplies etc., they are well over 850/month and that doesn't include the 10 meals a week. The other great deal about meds house is that summer rent is only 250/month, so when you aren't here in the summer you aren't paying big bucks for an empty apartment. I easily save $4500.00 a year living at Meds House! How can Meds House be so cheap? Well it is not for profit housing. What we charge in rent is just enough to keep the house going and is not meant to be making money for the landlord. Meds House also has a number of very successful fundraising events that help to pay the bills.

But perhaps the greatest thing about Meds House is the social side. I've met some of my best friends in Meds House, and have learned a great deal about medicine, residency, what to study for exams, and CARMS from the upper year students. Included in your rent are the meds house social fees, which include multiple 'all you can eat, all you can drink' formal parties, TGIF bbq's, fooze ball tournaments and many other great events. The house is huge, so even when there are social events going on in the living room you can still easily study in your room!

If anyone has any questions about meds house feel free to contact myself or any of the other house members (see names and numbers below). We still have some great rooms available! If you are interested in some pics of the house check out:

www.kodakgallery.com/Slid...nn_speed=1

Cheers and congrats on getting into Queen's,

Ryan

Rob: 613.483.6230

Katie: 613.539.7543

• 4 weeks later...
Guest amivore

Thanks to an overwhelming response from the new class of 2010, Meds House is almost full! There is one spot remaining in the house for a female to share the Girls Double - a large room with huge windows covering two walls and plenty of closet space. This is an amazing deal given that you save over $100 a month on the same deal as everyone in singles. The current double room rate is $495 a month, which includes all utilities plus lunch & dinner Monday to Friday! There is no cheaper deal in town . . .

Spots continue to be filled first come, first serve, so call or email us soon! Visit us at medshouse.com :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Amy

5ar11@qlink.queensu.ca

Archived