Premed 101 Forums

Cell coverage

Guest medeng

Guest medeng

I'm planning on doing the cell thing this fall, and was just wondering if anybody there has had trouble with coverage from any of the 'major' providers (Rogers/Fido, Bell or Telus)

Guest CareBear15

I'm with Telus and have never had problems with reception. Back in the day when Fido was just Fido I got zero coverage in Kingston. It's probably better now with the Rogers affiliation and everything.

Most peeps in the '08 class are with Rogers, Telus and some with Bell.

Guest nextstopmd

They all work just fine in Kingston... People in our class don't seem to be with any company more than any other one, so I'd say just stick with whatever company you like and don't worry so much about service as a factor (at least in Kingston itself - things may be a lot different if you want to use it in the US, or overseas).

nextstopmd

• 2 years later...

Are all cell phone providers still recommended equally in Kingston? I'm currently with Bell, but since I need a new phone (mine died an early death in a snowbank, and I'll have to give back my work phone when I head to Kingston in the fall), I thought now might be a good time to evaluate the different providers.

Are there any problems with having to pay roaming charges in Kingston, with it being so close to the US? Or, do the phones always stay on Canadian towers?

Thanks for your help!

Elaine

I'm using Bell, and it works just fine here. I haven't had a problem with picking up US signals at all. I still wish Fido had local Kingston numbers, because I would switch in an instant. Aside from the overall cost of cellular service everywhere in Canada, there's no difference between carriers here in terms of reception, etc.

Telus tends to send a couple duplicates of txt messages but you don't get charged for the extras. I am rather amazed you actually don't have a cell yet. You shouldn't have too much trouble with reception, with my razor I get reception in elevators and a decent distance into the Universities tunnel (however i doubt all universities have tunnels lol)

Archived