Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep

DTR2+

I'm currently a teacher looking to take the MCAT. I understand the MCAT is more application than knowledge based so I would like to get my hands on good resources to help me with my studying. I have read on this forum that Kaplan books are good, EK has good practice passages and questions, Khan Academy videos reinforce learning, JW for CARS, and Anki flashcards for daily revision to keep up with the material. I have also looked into uWorld for practice and AAMC practice tests for final simulation of test taking. My strategy is:

1) Starting with Kaplan books to lay a foundation, followed by Khan academy videos.

2) Using EK passages to practice and then use daily anki and JW Cars passages to reinforce my learning and keep up with material.

3) UWorld after I have a foundation of knowledge to practice and see how I'm doing. Moving onto timed tests after i'm comfortable.

4) AAMC practice tests as the final tester. Doing 1 test weekly leading up to my test date. 

Is this a good strategy? And most importantly, am I missing anything for the sections for practice? My main concern is enough practice for the biological/chemistry/physics section as well as CARS. Any resources people recommend on top of the ones listed above? Anything that people have found useful, please comment! I have approximately 5 months to study for this, possibly more with the social distancing! Thank you!

That sounds like a solid plan and 5 months is a great length to be doing that! I used the Kaplan books too and I'd really recommend them. Khan academy videos and questions might not adhere too much with the actual MCAT content so I'd only watch them if you're confused about how Kaplan presents certain topics but don't freak out or try to grasp everything Khan academy is telling you. The Princeton Review also has quite good CARS practice books but I guess EK will be the same too. I would recommend using the official AAMC question banks (separate from their 4 full-length practice tests) instead of UWorld (not too sure how different the prices are but AAMC questions banks will be so much more helpful).

But otherwise you're set!

I pretty much only used Kaplan, a little bit of Khan (mostly for the Psych/Socio and CARS questions), **DELETED** and TPR CARS, 4 AAMC practice tests and I ended up with a really good score.