Premed 101 Forums

Analysis of factors affecting Canadian medical students’ success in the residency match

Hey guys, came across this article. Curious to hear your thoughts:
Analysis of factors affecting Canadian medical students’ success in the residency match:

https://journalhosting.ucalgary.ca/index.php/cmej/article/view/68981/53998?fbclid=IwAR1PZih64I_ce-8Kj55we6lKIIZHyrqxS0TvZo4BDtIQBZv1OxNX_B3ZqDg

Main takeaways:

- there's significant geographical variance in likelihood of successfully matching

- number of research or volunteer activities does not significantly affect matching

- also the average carms applicant has 8-9 research publications??!

Just to clarify the pubs number: When I read the paper, my interpretation was that the way they measured '# of pubs' was by looking at the total number of entries under the "publications/presentations" section in the carms application. That section encompasses every item of research from poster presentations to publications, while the "research activities" section is for talking about unpublished projects (at least that's how many of the people I know filled it out, it's quite possible others did their carms apps differently).

So the 8-9 number would likely include every piece of scholarly output applicants had, from a poster at a local conference to a publication in JAMA. Still not a small number, but not as daunting as it may have initially seemed.

Not to mention the study itself is very general. Those findings may not apply in more competitive surgical specialties. It is well known specialties like Plastics or Derm have tons of research when they match. It is an interesting look though. Many if not all specialties weigh reference letters, elective performance, and fit as the most valuable though as seen in their own field specific CaRMs research.