Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on Chances?

I have a bit of a non-traditional path. I completed years 1-3 of my 4 year BSc degree from 2014-2017. Then I did a professional program from 2017-2019. Then I returned to finish my final year of my BSc from 2019-2020. GPA for 3rd year is 89.9% (fml) and GPA for the whole 4th year would have been 93%, but since they are just using Fall 2019 grades it is 92%; I think this would make my application GPA 4.0 (pls advise if I'm wrong on this). So GPA is pretty good. However, the last time I took organic chem, physics, bio, psych etc. was 4- 6 years ago and I am STRUGGLING through MCAT prep. Planning to write in Sept 2020. Started studying for it in May 2020 but I am seriously having to relearn every single thing (even basic math) and it's not all sticking. I'm defs nervous I will do sh*t on the MCAT. Experience-wise, I feel pretty much set with immense clinical experience and research too. I am woefully trying to decide if I should wait a whole application cycle so that I can study more for the MCAT or if I should apply anyway this upcoming cycle. I really don't want to waste my time and money busting my a** this summer only to do poorly on the MCAT and blow my chances. Any thoughts/advice? THank you!!

Hey just saw your post on the forums, to calculate your GPA, make sure you translate each individual grade into the OMSAS 4.0 scale, after that, then go ahead and calculate your year averages or wGPA after that.

As for MCAT, are you currently self-studying or do you feel like you could do better in a structure course? It may seem daunting since you haven't studied this material in a while but trust, once you get deep in it, it should slowly start coming back. I think 2 months of studying and writing at the end of August/beginning of Sept should be fine. Also this cycle, MCAT results are given back within 2 weeks of writing! If I were you, I'd definitely give it a try--I believe in you! Though another year won't be bad by all means, you can study and focus on developing more ECs and developing more as a person. Plus, you have loads of life experience now, I've got faith.

Like DrOtter just said, loads of alternative options to choose from :)

1 minute ago, OnePoundFish said:

Hey I was wondering where you heard of this information. It seems that on the AAMC website, it is still 1 month 

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/canadian-testing-calendar/

hmm that's weird I swear I read somewhere at the start of May, I'll try to find it (I'll confirm if I'm mistaken). Thanks for letting me know!

6 minutes ago, OnePoundFish said:

Hey I was wondering where you heard of this information. It seems that on the AAMC website, it is still 1 month 

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/canadian-testing-calendar/

https://www.aamc.org/services/mcat-admissions-officers/faqs-mcat-exam-and-covid-19

I may have been incorrect if this only applies to specific regions, I think I originally read the information in an email

Edit: the link you sent also shows 2 week score report periods, starting June 19 to August 1

Just now, OnePoundFish said:

Yea I noticed that the 2-week score release is only for June and July Test dates. I wish that was for all test dates tbh

Yeah, so the 2-week score release may not be useful for medmayb unless they prep within 1.5 months (I just feel like a month for release is too long of a wait...though I might definitely underestimate the behind-the-scenes for score releases and standardization of scores). I think permanently keeping it at a 2-week release schedule would help provide ease of mind for the applicants and could possibly even be better for them (in a business (exploitation of our money lool) perspective too)

21 hours ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Yeah, so the 2-week score release may not be useful for medmayb unless they prep within 1.5 months (I just feel like a month for release is too long of a wait...though I might definitely underestimate the behind-the-scenes for score releases and standardization of scores). I think permanently keeping it at a 2-week release schedule would help provide ease of mind for the applicants and could possibly even be better for them (in a business (exploitation of our money lool) perspective too)

21 hours ago, OnePoundFish said:

21 hours ago, DrOtter said:

I feel like it's worth just applying anyway. But don't limit yourself to just Western either. If you're nervous about the MCAT, apply to UofT (if your cGPA or wGPA is 3.8 and up) and uOttawa (have you tried calculating your wGPA for them? they don't need MCAT).

Thank you guys so much for the advice & insight :)

I'm in a similar situation. I graduated undergrad in 2011, just started studying in May and booked an exam for September. If I meet the cutoffs for UWO, then be it, otherwise, I'll be continuing my studying even after the MCAT as my main focus is applying next year, but it doesn't hurt to see my chances and if I can make it this year. GPA for top two years is 3.80, I'll be considered SWOMEN though, which will help in the MCAT cutoff.