Premed 101 Forums

8 years to complete undergraduate degree

TL;DR: Addiction fxcked my undergraduate degree making my 4yr degree an 8 yr one. I have a decent 2yr gpa (3.88). Is it even worth it to apply to Western and Queens?

Before I begin, I want to make it clear that I'm not looking for anyone's sympathy. I just want guidance on how to move forwards!

I started my undergraduate degree in 2012. I had a 3.0ish cGPA (I was not thinking about applying to med school at this time) going into my spring semester of 3rd year when I developed a drug addiction. I ended up ruining my aGPA for the year. I failed even further in 4th year (<2.0 cgpa). I ended up abandoning my degree in 5th year by October leaving me with a very low cGPA (<2.0) as I didn't have the wherewithal to drop out of my classes (yikes). Thankfully, my family got me the help I needed soon after and I'm happy to say I've been sober since December of 2017 (not yikes). After a lot of reflecting, I made it my goal to complete my degree, and reenrolled in Sept of 2018. I've now graduated and my 2yr GPA is a 3.88 (not yikes)!

I want to apply to schools that look at 2yr GPAs (Western and Queens) but I'm worried that the admissions committees won't take too kindly to how long it took for me to complete my degree.

Should I apply during the upcoming cycle or should I do a 2nd degree?

If anyone has interviewed and/or received an offer of admissions with a lengthy undergard degree please let me know! Thank you in advanced!

Mm. Tricky. My knee jerk thought is that you could apply and, if and only if asked in the interview, say that the longer completion time was due to a medical/personal concern. You do not have any obligation to reveal any personal health information. And If they don't ask, don't bring it up. AFAIK you should not be disadvantaged in the selection process for the 2yr schools just because of the # of years it took for you to complete the degree. Could be wrong on that one.

Several years ago, a young lady who had a drug addiction previously applied to med school, was accepted and must be in practice today. I don’t recall how long it took her to attain her undergrad degree. I recommend you apply to determine how you are treated in terms of how long the degree took you. I would only go for another degree if absolutely essential, which has not been determined. I wish you every success! :P

• 2 weeks later...