Premed 101 Forums

Switched programs in first year and am taking courses a year below my year level?

So I am a UWaterloo Student going into my 3rd of year of University in the fall, and I switched from Health Studies to Kinesiology in first year. As a result, I am basically 1.5 semesters behind playing catchup, yet my quest profile still says I am a 3rd year student, so there's that. Yet in the fall, I will be taking more than 3 courses that are at the second year level. I am at crossroads because from what I understand most medical schools require you to have at least 3 of your courses per semester be at the year level of your study. Am I basically ineligible for all Canadian Med Schools now?

Well, it seems to me that you won’t graduate until your 6th year? If that is the case, in your last two years, you will have taken 3rd & 4th year courses. Write to med iCal schools to find out if this is okay. Otherwise, it seems you will need another undergraduate degree.

1 hour ago, Gurvir said:

So I am a UWaterloo Student going into my 3rd of year of University in the fall, and I switched from Health Studies to Kinesiology in first year. As a result, I am basically 1.5 semesters behind playing catchup, yet my quest profile still says I am a 3rd year student, so there's that. Yet in the fall, I will be taking more than 3 courses that are at the second year level. I am at crossroads because from what I understand most medical schools require you to have at least 3 of your courses per semester be at the year level of your study. Am I basically ineligible for all Canadian Med Schools now?

I know Western has the 3/5 rule, but I don't know if all Canadian medical schools do! It really depends on the school. 

And if I read their website correctly, Western only looks at the 2 best years, and it's only these two years that need to abide by the 3/5 rule (but someone who knows better, please correct me). Their course difficulty requirement (copy pasted from website, and not the only GPA requirements) are as follows:

• Year 1: three of five full course equivalents at or above the first-year level
  • Year 2: three of five full course equivalents at or above the second-year level
  • Year 3, 4 and additional undergraduate years: three of five full course equivalents at or above the third-year level

If you are 1.5 semesters behind= at worst 1 year behind, correct? So in 4th year, you will be taking 3rd year courses (abides by 3/5 rule for 4th year studies), and in 5th year, you will be taking 4th year courses (still ok). So if I read correctly, I think you'll be ok even for Western. 

10 hours ago, pnpclear said:

I know Western has the 3/5 rule, but I don't know if all Canadian medical schools do! It really depends on the school.

To add to this- I am fairly certain that western is the ONLY school with this rule (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so you shouldn't have to worry too much, you just might not be able to apply to this one school. As mentioned though, it doesn't hurt to email Western and see if you'd still be eligible with your circumstances