Premed 101 Forums

Is 504 MCAT too low for OOP? (Somewhat decent Maritimes connection)

Hello there!

I am making a list of schools to apply for this upcoming cycle and just curious if Dalhousie is worth applying with a very low MCAT score (504). I do meet all the cutoffs but the overall score is poor as you can tell.

I have a strong GPA (3.9 for Dal). Not sure how my ECs are relative to other applicants but I hope they are somewhat average! I have several awards/scholarships (research, academic, community service), a few short-term jobs (1-2 years), several volunteering activities and other typical cookie-cutter activities.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated! 

3 hours ago, garceyues said:

What would be considered "competitive" for an OOP applicant? To my knowledge Dal doesn't disclose the differences between the OOP and IP pool stats.  

I would suggest looking at the accepted/waitlisted thread to see, I know Dal used to provide average accepted stats based on the different pools to people who were waitlisted/rejected but they stopped doing that last year or the year before. 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, 88risingsun said:

If you have the time to pump out the "why you want to be a doctor" essay + the maritime connection essay, then I think you should go for it. MCAT is not given much weight at Dal, so with your high GPA and a strong connection to the east coast I think you have a fighting chance. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I guess I should definitely spend quite some time on the essays :P

6 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

You never know what will happen, doesn't hurt to give it a try!

Absolutely, I just wish my Maritimes connection essay will come through! Do you know how the Maritimes connection essay is factored into overall application score? The personal essay and ECs are worth 30% of the total file score but is the Maritimes connection separate and does not get factored in post-interview?

4 minutes ago, HoopDreamssss said:

Absolutely, I just wish my Maritimes connection essay will come through! Do you know how the Maritimes connection essay is factored into overall application score? The personal essay and ECs are worth 30% of the total file score but is the Maritimes connection separate and does not get factored in post-interview?

I want to say the Maritime essay is just used for interview decisions but don't quote me on that, I'm IP so I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, NathanG said:

how can one write a great maritime connection essay if they have minimal connections. and even if we did were we suppose to write about professional connections. what is meant by connections

Connections can mean anything- and it's totally up to you how to write it. The question is purposely vague because they want you to interpret it yourself and decide how you want to phrase the essay. I will say though, Dal prefers OOP applicants with a Maritime connection, because they prefer training doctors who will stay there to work- so if you don't have one, you're climbing a bit of an uphill battle as an OOP. With that being said, it's certainly not impossible and I saw someone on the forums who got in as OOP with no maritime connection who wrote her essay as a hypothetical connection. There is no right or wrong way to write the essay though, Dal wants to see how you as an individual decide to write it

On 8/12/2020 at 2:58 PM, Psych said:

Connections can mean anything- and it's totally up to you how to write it. The question is purposely vague because they want you to interpret it yourself and decide how you want to phrase the essay. I will say though, Dal prefers OOP applicants with a Maritime connection, because they prefer training doctors who will stay there to work- so if you don't have one, you're climbing a bit of an uphill battle as an OOP. With that being said, it's certainly not impossible and I saw someone on the forums who got in as OOP with no maritime connection who wrote her essay as a hypothetical connection. There is no right or wrong way to write the essay though, Dal wants to see how you as an individual decide to write it

would having a family member living in the maritimes be a connection?