Premed 101 Forums

application ammendment

Guest doctorfunk

Guest doctorfunk

I wish to make a change to my application. My question is, should I contact the UWO admissions office directly rather than submit the alteration to OMSAS? (because the applications have now been processed by OMSAS and sent out to the school)

As far as UWO is concerned, all they will be looking for at this point is your GPA and MCAT scores to determine if you are eligible for an interview...if your ammendment affects either of these two areas, it is essential that you notify both the school and OMSAS ASAP as it may affect if you get an interview...if the ammendment is a change in something 'autobiographical', it is not as important.

In my opinion, the following things are essential to ammend on your application ASAP:

1. Changes in address...either permanent, mailing or e-mail

2. Any errors in grades or MCAT scores

Things that are not so important:

1. Changes in an extra-curricular activity, job, volunteer work (this could be raised at the interview but it will not, as a general rule, influence whether you get an interview at UWO)

2. Change in courses that you are currently taking (they will see this on your May transcript and ultimately doesn't really matter)

Good luck!

I would definitely send any changes in writing to both the school and OMSAS. Make sure that you put your OMSAS # on everything, sign and date it.

Mailing addresses for both OMSAS and UWO admissions should be available in the OMSAS booklet (PDF on OMSAS site).

Good luck!

Guest toothyhuh

What pre-reqs do they look at? Non-sci courses and what else? I ask because in my omsas verific form they failed to list my pre-req marks for life sciences 1, life sciences 2 and general chemistry...even though I have all those courses on my transcript...i've asked omsas to correct this..but i wonder if I should contact western directl...

They do not look at any of your pre-reqs at this point...they do not use them to calculate a pre-req GPA...if you get to the point of receiving an offer of admission, they will look to see that you have completed (ie passed) the following:

1.0 in biology with lab

1.0 in chemistry with lab

1.0 in a science other than bio or chem (like physics or math)

1.0 in organic chem OR 0.5 in organic chem AND 0.5 in biochem

3.0 in arts/social sci with at least 1.0 in essay courses

either OAC english OR english or history at the university level.

If you have, you will get an offer with no strings. If you still have one or more to do, you will get a conditional offer with the understanding that they must be complete before Sept or you won't be allowed to register in meds.

Until that point, Western will look to see what your GPA was in your best full-time year...if it is over the cut (and your MCAT scores are too!) then you should receive an interview. If its not (or your MCAT scores aren't) then you won't get an interview (game over...).

If you would like to correct the 'pre-req' issues (life sci 1 and 2 are UofT pre-reqs...) contact OMSAS.

Good luck!

Archived