Premed 101 Forums

Bois de Boulogne or Dawson

L0LLYP0P

On 10/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, Pharmavet2020 said:

Hi! I'm a francophone who graduated from Dawson last year. Sorry in advance for the long text ;)

I wouldn't worry about adjusting to an english environment, a large population of students at Dawson are actually francophones or international students and teachers are aware of the fact that some students may struggle to adjust to english. I found that most teachers were super kind and patient with french students and took time to explain things in french when necessary! 

The first english course is meant to be an introductory course to college level english, so you will be placed in a class based on your level of english proficiency in the first semester in order to adjust to the required level of english proficiency. You're not obligated to take "philosophy" classes like the one you would encounter in french cegeps, instead you take "humanities" courses which are very broad and easy, they can cover any aspect of social life (I took classes on racism, law and childhood education) but typical philosophy courses can be taken as complementary courses. 

I'd recommend preparing for general chemistry as the nomenclature of compounds is very different and my teacher didn't spend any time explaining the differences between french and english nomenclature. I don't remember struggling to adapt for physics and math as most of what you see is new material and the majority of signs are similar. 

Overall, don't worry too much about adjusting to english, it only takes a few weeks and there is so much support and help for students transitioning to english learning that you'll get used to it quite quickly! Going to Dawson was one of the greatest decision I've taken and I really would recommend it :) 

Hi!

I would like to know if you were in enriched. If so, how was it compared to the regular program? Also, was it hard to get a good R score (36-37) for a francophone student?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, Pharmavet2020 said:

Hi! I'm a francophone who graduated from Dawson last year. Sorry in advance for the long text ;)

I wouldn't worry about adjusting to an english environment, a large population of students at Dawson are actually francophones or international students and teachers are aware of the fact that some students may struggle to adjust to english. I found that most teachers were super kind and patient with french students and took time to explain things in french when necessary! 

The first english course is meant to be an introductory course to college level english, so you will be placed in a class based on your level of english proficiency in the first semester in order to adjust to the required level of english proficiency. You're not obligated to take "philosophy" classes like the one you would encounter in french cegeps, instead you take "humanities" courses which are very broad and easy, they can cover any aspect of social life (I took classes on racism, law and childhood education) but typical philosophy courses can be taken as complementary courses. 

I'd recommend preparing for general chemistry as the nomenclature of compounds is very different and my teacher didn't spend any time explaining the differences between french and english nomenclature. I don't remember struggling to adapt for physics and math as most of what you see is new material and the majority of signs are similar. 

Overall, don't worry too much about adjusting to english, it only takes a few weeks and there is so much support and help for students transitioning to english learning that you'll get used to it quite quickly! Going to Dawson was one of the greatest decision I've taken and I really would recommend it :) 

Hello,

Thank you for your advises. i would like to know if there is many students from Dawson get to Medical or pharm . 

Thanks

On 11/14/2020 at 6:16 PM, L0LLYP0P said:

Okay thanks! 
mais vous pensez quoi de Maisonneuve, puisque c’est le seul collège public à côté de moi!

:)

Bonjour,

J'ai actuellement de mêmes questions que vous. Je dois choisir mon Cegep bientôt. J'aimerais savoir finalement vous avez choisi quel Cegep ? vous aimez ? vous pouvez partager des expériences ?

Merci beaucoup 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:39 PM, Anna1 said:

Bonjour,

J'ai actuellement de mêmes questions que vous. Je dois choisir mon Cegep bientôt. J'aimerais savoir finalement vous avez choisi quel Cegep ? vous aimez ? vous pouvez partager des expériences ?

Merci beaucoup 

Bonjour, 

finalement je suis partie à Dawson et je ne regrette aucunement mon choix. C’est vraiment un cegep qui te donne bcp d’opportunités pour t’améliorer et avoir de bonnes cote r parce que l’indice de force est vrm fort comparé à Maisonneuve ou même bois de Boulogne. Je connais un ami à bdeb qui a eu 92 en cal 1 et ça lui a donnée 34, alors qu’à Dawson ça donne 36-37 grâce justement à l’indice de force. J’aime Dawson aussi parce que les gens sont hyper chill, genre tu te fais des amis facilement et c rare les situations de toxicité en science (les gens s’entraident actually) 

17 hours ago, L0LLYP0P said:

Bonjour, 

finalement je suis partie à Dawson et je ne regrette aucunement mon choix. C’est vraiment un cegep qui te donne bcp d’opportunités pour t’améliorer et avoir de bonnes cote r parce que l’indice de force est vrm fort comparé à Maisonneuve ou même bois de Boulogne. Je connais un ami à bdeb qui a eu 92 en cal 1 et ça lui a donnée 34, alors qu’à Dawson ça donne 36-37 grâce justement à l’indice de force. J’aime Dawson aussi parce que les gens sont hyper chill, genre tu te fais des amis facilement et c rare les situations de toxicité en science (les gens s’entraident actually) 

Merci beaucoup 

Vous êtes en science santé ? enriched ? trouvez vous difficile pour adapter les cours en anglais ? 

17 hours ago, L0LLYP0P said:

Bonjour, 

Merci beaucoup. 

Savez -vous s'il y a beaucoup d'étudiants de Dawson qui entrent en Med. Merci 

• 11 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 10:56 PM, Anna1 said:

Merci beaucoup. 

Savez -vous s'il y a beaucoup d'étudiants de Dawson qui entrent en Med. Merci 

Il est probablement trop tard, mais oui, d'après ce que je sais beaucoup d'étudiants de Dawson réussissent à entrer en médecine. 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/our-statistics/class-profiles 

Au final, tu es allé à quel Cégep?