Premed 101 Forums

So who's coming to Western Meds in the Fall?

Guest Ninja

Guest Ninja

Thought it might be nice to start a thread where future classmates can shoot the breeze a bit before meeting each other at the end of the summer.

Guest T dawg 2004

hey - i think that's a pretty good idea. I'm from Niagara Falls (though currently working and living in Toronto).

I actually went up to London to look at housing yesterday, and it was quite an adventure. Currently, i'm still not sure what my situation with Car/House or Apartment is going to be - i saw a whole bunch of places and they're all pretty decent, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Anyways, what else don't i mind typing on the forum (and into cyberspace): I'm 22 (turning 23 in September - so i'm sure i'll need every one's help to celebrate) and i've just completed my Bachelors of Education at OISE/UT. I also did my undergrad there (Immunology!).

Personally, i'm looking forward to Western - as a change of place and a change of faces!

Ok. THat's about it for now.

Teresa

Guest Gill0927

Ok, so now that I've really decided, I can post here...I'm coming to London in the fall!!! Yay!

I'm from Ottawa, and I actually think I'm set for housing in London...as weird as this sounds, I think I'm going to be living with my brother. He's doing a PhD at Ivey (Western's business school) right now and bought a townhouse/condo unit for the time he's there. It's big enough for both of us, and I have no money, so I think that's where I'm going to live. (before you all think that he's so generous to let me stay there, my parents own part of the house and are making him let me move in. Not that he's not a great guy).

My birthday's also in Sept. (27th), and I'm turning 25, so we'll be celebrating a couple birthdays together! I did my undergrad in Ottawa (eventually -- I started at U of T) in Psychology, so I have an Arts degree...I'm a little nervous about the science catch-up I'll have, although I did some extra science courses this year as pre-reqs and brush-ups.

Anyway, as you can tell, I talk a lot, and am really excited to start at Western in the fall. I can't wait to meet you all!

Gill :b

Guest mdhopeful23

welcome gill! it sounds like we're all going to be making new buddies this fall!

gill, and anyone who's interested, please send me an email at mdhopeful23@hotmail.com and i can add you to my msn buddy list (i have another email, mdhopeful23 i just use for the forum)

:D

Guest Gill0927

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I went to Nepean High School...why, are you from Ottawa too?

It'll be so nice to put faces to these ezboard names!

Gill :b

Guest shrinkage

Hi Ladies and Gents,

My name is Dave. I did an undergrad in kinesiology at UW, and am just finishing an M.Sc. at U of T in "cold water swimming survival" (hence the user name, a little physiology joke).

I'll be living...I don't know where...I've only been to London three times...for a meds interview two years ago (obviously, I was not successful at that time), and for medical and dentistry interviews this year. There's nothing like the view of Western campus when you come driving in the front entrance, and go over that little bridge part. This tower thing, apparently sitting alone atop of a grassy hill, just sort of looms into view with a kind of magnificence that's hard to describe. I guess if I knew the campus better, my description could be more eloquent/poetic. I just LOVE the campus though. Actually, I think both UWO and Queen's are the coolest schools in Ontario. UW was nice...but a bit "sterile/ultramodern." U of T is too "down-townie" for me...

Anyway, I'm married, so I'll probably live in a one bedroom apt. somewhere, as close to campus as possible. My wife does lab. tech. stuff for molecular bio. (she works at Sick Kids right now), so she might end up working at UWO anyway.

All I know, is that the 396 sq. ft. place I am in right now (U of T family residence) is way too small.

If anybody knows of where we can find some nice "1 bedroom + den" apartments...say, 600 sq. ft., within 3 or 4 km of campus, I'd be very interested.

My e-mail is dlounsbu22@yahoo.ca

I look forward to meeting all of you in a few months.

:P

Guest UWOMED2005

Lisgar grad here, class of '97. I knew a couple Nepean people back in the day. . .

There are tons of basement appartments matching that description southwest of the University, off Platt's lane, and Northwest, around Ambleside. There are also a number of solid conventional apartments on Richmond.

Alternatively, the UWO couples/family Condo residences I think are an absolute steal - a fair bit bigger than 396 sq ft. They're at Platt's Lane and Western. I'm not sure what the waiting list for them is, though.

Guest kooty

Hi Everyone!

I'm from beautiful British Columbia where it is hot and sunny right now :) I was accepted into Western too. I was working on my pharmacy degree here at UBC and unfortunately, will not finish because I just completed my third year. I was very very excited to pack up and go to Western...I even started looking for room mates (thank you for your replies mdhopeful and therealcrackers :) ) but yesterday I found out I got into UBC so I've decided to withdraw my acceptance from UWO (hopefully they will give me my $1000 back).

But I did just want to tell you all that the only reason I'm staying is because I have a boyfriend here...and working out the costs, I am WAY too poor to afford housing plus trips back to the west coast at least twice a year. So the cheaper alternative is here, especially when they are giving us money to move to the new Victoria site that has opened.

I really loved UWO while I was there and I wish all of you guys lots of luck over there...I'll probably always wonder what it was like to go over there :(

Anyways, congrats to all of you!

Kooty

Guest blinknoodle

I'll be attending UWO come this fall, too... youpee!

Seems like we have many Ottawarians coming to UWO. I am also originally from Ottawa. I hear London is similar to Ottawa, and I'll see about this weekend when I check out some housing. If anyone is looking for a female roomie for a 2 BR apartment, PM me.

Hope to see you all in the fall, but I'll have to join orientation a bit later then everyone else...

Cheers,

-bn

Hi Everyone!

I've made the choice...it's Western for me! I'm so excited about the fall. I don't think I can manage to wait 2 more months! Just curious...is anyone taking the summer off to relax/travel? I'm dying to go to Australia, but I feel guilty taking off from my lab! I figure this will be one of my last completely free summers so I should take advantage of that and go away, but we'll see what ends up happening!

Regarding the house-hunting issue: I just found an amazing apartment in London today (signed the lease within an hour of seeing the place...it's gorgeous) and may be looking for a roomie as well. I'm waiting to see if a friend of mine wants in on the other bedroom, but I'll definitely post something here if that falls through.

Oh yeah, a little bit about me. I'm a 21F who just finished 3rd year Biochem at Mac. I was accepted by Mac and Western right away and got off the Queens waitlist a week and a half ago. It was tough battle but Western won over Queens! I'm from Brampton (about 2 hours from London) and I can't wait to meet everyone!

I hope this summer goes quickly!

TK

Guest Ninja

...on behalf of all the 2007s, we can't wait to meet all of you guys either!

There's a good tradition of the first two classes of meds at UWO hanging out and partying together and of course we run your Orientation. O-Week was a BLAST for us (I thought it was about 1000X better than my undergrad frosh week), so we can't wait to show you guys a good time during your O-week.

Btw, this is Vajid, one of your Admissions Reps, in case you were wondering. I'm also from Ottawa like a few of you. I did my undergrad at Queen's, in Life Sci. Anyways, party on, and to quote one of my favourite childhood movies "Be excellent to each other!"

Guest chiapet921

Hi there!~

Guess I can join the club...hehe...gonna be moving from Scarborough as soon as I can find a place!

DrTK: sounds like you really did find a gem! do you mind me asking where your wonderful apartment is located? I've been doing some house-hunting myself but don't really know what's out there...thanks in advance!

Guess a little bit about myself: finished H.B.Sc. from UofT in human behavioural biology...oh, and I'm a Sept baby as well! hahaha...:)

Hi chiapet921!

My apartment is on Richmond St., right across the street from a new townhouse complex I think their number is 1500, and sandwiched between a lot of old (but still nice) houses. That's the Masonville area. I think it's about 1km from the med sci building (which is good enough for me!) Basically Richmond St. (before the Western Rd./Richmond St. junction) seems like a really nice area. The walk from campus is well lit and not too long, so it should be pretty safe. There are a couple of apartments on Richmond St. that I inquired about, but they're going really fast so I would advise everyone to start looking sooner rather than later!

About my birthday...it looks like I'm going to be representing December by myself! Any more Dec. babies out there???

TK

Guest hafnuts

Hello all, I shall also be attending Western this fall! I'm a graduate of kinesiology at the University of Waterloo. Fortunately, I have already found a place to rent (my buddy is in dentistry) by Masonville mall. I look forward to meeting all of you. If anyone is still looking for a place to live there is one room availible. It's a pretty sweet place, hardwood floors, two fireplaces and reasonable rent. If interested e-mail at tomhaffner7@hotmail.com

cheers

Hey guys, I'm coming to Western too. I'm thinking of moving in with my friend who is doing her Masters of physiotherapy, but I haven't had a chance to get to London and see the place yet. Does anyone know how far Limberlost or Limberlust Rd (or something close to that) is from the school? thanks!

Guest achittle

Hi all! I posted a message on the UWO meds housing site, but thought I'd post here as well ... I'm looking for 2 (preferably female, non-smokers) roommates to share a gorgeous 3-bd/2 full bath condo at 5 Jacksway Cres. It's about 2km from the Health Sciences building, right on a bus route. Rent's $450+ hydro. If you're interested, e-mail me at : a_chittle@hotmail.com. I'm hoping that we'll be able to move in Aug 20 (in time for O-week), but that's still being negotiated.

See you all in August! :P

Andrea

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey glo!

You're coming to Western?!? Sweet!!! WLU alums in da house!!! See you in September! :D

Timmy

P.S.: Anatomy lab is 100x easier than chordates lab was! ;)

Archived