Premed 101 Forums

How to impress on family medicine rotation?

I'm currently on an FM rotation and I need a strong positive reference letter bc due to COVID it'll be my only FM experience and I'm applying to FM.
I'm not sure how to be impressive on this rotation for a letter. It feels like the patients are just coming in for diabetes checks, med reviews, prenatal visits. My preceptor knows all of them so there's not much else for me to do and I just kind of do the Hx, P/E, but no real need for a DDx or plan lots of times... doesn't seem like there is a chance to demonstrate clinical reasoning/knowledge. I asked my staff what she would need to see in order to be able to write a letter (after I let her know that this is my only FM and I'm applying to it) and she said as long as I'm nice and professional that's all she cares about, not my knowledge. But programs want her to comment on my knowledge... so I'm not sure what to do.
Any tips for how to impress on FM?

11 minutes ago, _gettingthere_ said:
I'm currently on an FM rotation and I need a strong positive reference letter bc due to COVID it'll be my only FM experience and I'm applying to FM.
I'm not sure how to be impressive on this rotation for a letter. It feels like the patients are just coming in for diabetes checks, med reviews, prenatal visits. My preceptor knows all of them so there's not much else for me to do and I just kind of do the Hx, P/E, but no real need for a DDx or plan lots of times... doesn't seem like there is a chance to demonstrate clinical reasoning/knowledge. I asked my staff what she would need to see in order to be able to write a letter (after I let her know that this is my only FM and I'm applying to it) and she said as long as I'm nice and professional that's all she cares about, not my knowledge. But programs want her to comment on my knowledge... so I'm not sure what to do.
Any tips for how to impress on FM?

Know the updated guidelines for HTN, T2DM, Lipid consensus, and the others and try to drop updates into plans "per the 2019 guidelines...this patient should be getting  xyz"