Premed 101 Forums

Deleted

CelluleB

First off don't drop out of your masters, it looks terrible. I know that research can be soul crushing at times, but going into nursing with a goal for medicine would be terrible, you'll hate every second of nursing school while also trying to do well. If you're competitive for med, stay in the masters because you can keep applying and maybe get a bonus with the masters. If you switch into nursing you'll be doing your backup and not really prepping for med school. Now if you know you're not competitive I would tell you to switch because then you get to work in the field because nursing is great but thats a different story. Anyways if you plan to drop anything you're doing if you get into med, just stay in the masters. Worse case you don't get into after the masters you can go into nursing and keep applying, but you cant go into nursing and start another masters. 

In Quebec, the CV and whatnot are not part of the evaluation process so he could withdraw without it having any consequence outside of pissing off his supervisor.

The issue with leaving your master's is that nursing doesn't have a particularly good "IFG" (the difficulty rating for the R-score calculation in Quebec). Outside of maybe UdeM, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by switching to nursing (unless your biochemistry GPA isn't very high, in which case, there is no foot to shoot at since it will follow you forever and will be difficult to overcome, meaning your odds of getting in are almost nil in the first place).

On 12/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, hopefulpremed98 said:

First off don't drop out of your masters, it looks terrible. I know that research can be soul crushing at times, but going into nursing with a goal for medicine would be terrible, you'll hate every second of nursing school while also trying to do well. If you're competitive for med, stay in the masters because you can keep applying and maybe get a bonus with the masters. If you switch into nursing you'll be doing your backup and not really prepping for med school. Now if you know you're not competitive I would tell you to switch because then you get to work in the field because nursing is great but thats a different story. Anyways if you plan to drop anything you're doing if you get into med, just stay in the masters. Worse case you don't get into after the masters you can go into nursing and keep applying, but you cant go into nursing and start another masters. 

I completely agree with this person's advice. It is advantageous for you to finish your master's because several Canadian schools provide a 'bonus' for it. Nursing certainly would provide you with valuable patient experience; however, the 'nice to have' experience does not outweigh the negative attention you will draw from dropping out of your master's and the GPA drop you will have from studying nursing. (It's not about how 'hard' it is, just the way it's graded. Very few people do exceptional in nursing).

Consider that medical schools produce 'x' number of graduates each year that go on to be physicians who were not nurses before going to medical school. Nursing is a 'nice to have' for sure, but will not make or break your application. 

As a pre-med myself, I'm not an admissions expert. However, I am a nurse and do have a thesis-based master's degree, so I hope my opinion is helpful to you.

I have reservations about doing a MSc that you hate, especially if it's research/thesis based. I've seen people who have no interest or are not productive in the MSc drag on beyond their 2 year timeline simply because they can't get enough or good quality data to write their thesis. It ended up being a dead end project that really goes nowhere. Even if you get accepted into med school, I believe they require you to graduate from your MSc. Some supervisors are very strict and will not let you graduate with subpar thesis. 

If you are confident about your MSc then go for it. But if you think it's going to end up being a drag and perhaps even worsen your GPA or academic record then get out early. Gaining work experience is also helpful during your year off, doesn't have to be science or healthcare related. You actually learn a lot doing "real" work outside of academia and can gain a lot of talking points from it. I wouldn't enroll in more school unless you're confident you'll like it or it will boost your academic record in some way.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, shikimate said:

I have reservations about doing a MSc that you hate, especially if it's research/thesis based. I've seen people who have no interest or are not productive in the MSc drag on beyond their 2 year timeline simply because they can't get enough or good quality data to write their thesis. It ended up being a dead end project that really goes nowhere. Even if you get accepted into med school, I believe they require you to graduate from your MSc. Some supervisors are very strict and will not let you graduate with subpar thesis. 

If you are confident about your MSc then go for it. But if you think it's going to end up being a drag and perhaps even worsen your GPA or academic record then get out early. Gaining work experience is also helpful during your year off, doesn't have to be science or healthcare related. You actually learn a lot doing "real" work outside of academia and can gain a lot of talking points from it. I wouldn't enroll in more school unless you're confident you'll like it or it will boost your academic record in some way.

-

• CelluleB changed the title to Deleted