Premed 101 Forums

Mac essay courses for admission to Western

Guest JAMIRA

Guest JAMIRA

To all those Mac undergads who have applied to Western (or anyone else who may know) - What are some essay courses at Mac that would count towards Western's requirements? Does this mean purely English courses or could it be, for example, a phliosophy or a psych course for which one or two major essays are required?

~Jamira :)

Guest hmsdread

I don't know about specific Mac courses, but as for your other question, I believe the course can be any discipline as long as it meets the classification of an "essay course". My understanding is that the majority of the course has to be evaluated through a major essay (or several) in order to be considered an "essay course".

Guest aneliz

An essay course is any arts or social science course in which you must write at least one full length (as appropriate to course level) essay complete with footnotes and bibliography. It can be from any discipline. Essay format exams do not count. Some universities designate courses by course code as essay course (not sure if mac does this...) so if that is the case, it makes it easy...otherwise, the validity of your essay course will be checked by UWO.

Guest JAMIRA

Unfortunately, Mac does not have any sort of system indicating which courses are essay courses.

Last year, I did an independent project which basically involved library research and a 50-or-so page essay submitted at the end of the year. Is this what UWO is looking for?

When I apply, will I be asked to specify the courses that meet the requirements, or is this information obtained from reviewing my transcript?

Thanks!

~Jamira

Guest aneliz

As long as it was an arts or social sci course and not a science 'thesis' course....call the admissions office if you are concerned....but I would wait a week or two until this round of interviews is over....when the staff are a little less stressed!

Good luck!

Archived