Premed 101 Forums

Interview invitations arrived

Guest hydes79

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went to look over my OMSAS application and I noticed that I spelled responsible(responsbile) and physical (physcal) wrong in my ottawa sketch....I was trying to fit everything in despite the limited number of characters allowed and I screwed up...I didn't notice this until now....Now I'm paranoid!!!

Guest silverjelly86

You guys realized that we represent a *very small* proportion of those who applied to Ottawa, right? So even if the alphabet theory is right, there may be tons of people with last names starting with, say, "A" to "E" with invites already. Sigh . . .

I just realized that I don't think I completed the autobiographical sketch properly. I just kind of stated what I did, not what it says about me as a potential med applicant. This whole process sucks.

Guest 24medgirl

I did the same thing because I didn't see how I could possibly explain such things in 150 characters. Really it's quite ridiculous to expect someone to do that. What are you supposed to do "Improved my interpersonal skills"? Of course it did - that's the whole purpose of life, work, volunteer, ECs....

I found the U of O application limiting because they didn't ask questions or essay. I felt I didn't have the chance to show them who I am. Hence, probably why I'm not going to get an invite.

I'm very sad at this moment....thinking of calling it quits at work early so I can stop checking me e-mail (computer on frits at home).

Congrats to those who received e-mails.

T.

I have officially given up hope...I refuse to check my email until tomorrow but I don't think I will receive an invite anyways...good luck with the rest of your interviews!

Guest silverjelly86

Maybe someone who lives in Ottawa who hasn't called them yet could find out if they've already sent out all of the invites - so that those of us who are still waiting can move on with our day (and weekend!)

Well, good luck with the rest of your application to the seemingly few of us with interviews so far, and congratulations!

As you can tell, I too have given up hope.:(

ooohhh....i second that idea! i would call if i wasn't a poor student without a long distance plan.

if someone finds out, would you please post the info...?

Guest 24medgirl

I just called the Admissions office. I live in Brockville (an hour from Ottawa, but the hospital I work in has a direct line to Ottawa).

There is a message on the phone stating that interview invites will be sent January 27th (today) and that remaining invites will be sent via post next week (have no idea what this means). The message also said that they will not verify interview invite over the phone.

Ok, I'm going home. I'm tired on this.

Keep the chins up.

Hi folks,

If interview invites started to be sent out this morning at 9, and the admissions office works a 9-5 day, that's 8 hours of e-mails.

If they are sending out 500 invitations, that means 500/8 hours, or 62.5 per hour which further means that they would have to send one out every 58 seconds (including over lunch).

In my opinion, this goes to show that some e-mails will inevitably be sent on Monday...perhaps even Tuesday.

tt/

Guest Medicus101

Hey guys!!

I recieved my interview invite this morning at 10am. I'm third year so I was SOOO Happy I got one. (French stream) DON't give up hope, my last name starts with C so hang in there!

Guest MrsHouse

just to clarify on the Admissions office voicemail...

It says invitations to interview will be sent out Friday January 27th, and "all remaining letters will be sent by e-mail next week"

which likely means rejection letters, I guess

Wow...ok. I guess some of on here today are out of the running. Feels like $%@& when you really believed you had a shot.

I'm a nursing major (so one of my courses is pass/fail every year - clinical practice), so maybe that had something to do with it. Although, I still took 5 courses a year and was full-time with a competitive wGPA. BAH...oh well.

Good luck to all those who did receive interviews!

Chrail

Hi all,

I got an interview in 3rd year (last year) and Ottawa is not big on them, that's the truth! I think one of the reasons I got one then was b/c I applied to the French stream, and most franco applicants w/ decent gpas (over 3.6 I would assume, expectations are lower for francos) get interviews. However, I felt that my interview would have gone better in English, so this year I applied to the anglo stream... Quite a few of my friends w/ very high gpa's, 3.9-4 that are now attending schools like UofT or Mac for meds were rejected pre-interview at Ottawa (they were in 3rd year). I don't know what it is w/ Ottawa U and the preference for the older applicants, but it just seems like that's the way it is. In any case, good luck everyone, there's always next year, and Ottawa is just one school.

M.

Guest pbasted2

Hi everyone. Make sure you're sitting down for this one. I just got off the phone with a real human being from Ottawa. I was hoping to hear the infamous answering machine message, but instead I got some guy.

If you did not receive a letter yet, you did not get in to Ottawa.

Read it again.

He said "I wish I could tell you that we weren't done mailing them out, but I'm sorry, we are done inviting people for interviews. You will receive a letter stating the reasons you did not get in and all the cut-offs used this year next week. Again, I'm very sorry". We said bye and that was the end.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone but looks like we're not getting invited.

Guest spiralcloud

Why does it seem that many people with a really high wGPA did not get an interview? I know U of O is big on volunteer activities etc...but this doesn't seem to make much sense at all.

Archived