Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba DMD 2010

Guest dentlove69

Guest dentlove69

Hi everyone,

Just got accepted into Manitoba and already accepted at UBC, I'm not from either of those placed. I'm really confused on which one to pick, any help from anyone is really appreciated.

Thank you

Guest Braces2005

Hey man,

I got into Umani and UBC too. But I'll be dropping my acceptances for Western. Before Western came into the picture my decision was based on two things tuition vs lifestyle. I prefer the lifestyle in Vancouver over Manitoba. Although the tuition fee in mani is much less I saw myself living in Vancouver in the long run. My decision had nothing to do with the quality of education.

Guest omizu

Only choose Manitoba if you like snow and sub-zero temperatures for 5 and a half months a year. By sub-zero I mean -20. The rest of the year isn't horrible, if you can handle mosquito swarms that is. I've lived in Winnipeg for a few years and compared to any other major city it SUCKS. Seriously. Isolation. Boredom.

I hear the school is good but you will be a dentist either way. My suggestion: go where life is better. Vancouver cannot even be compared to Winnipeg so don't bother trying. Vancouver is a destination, Winnipeg is a point of departure. Easy decision.

Guest Tonick

First off congrats to all who got into U of M. By the looks of it it's a fantastic school. Special congrats to all the OOPs, wow you must have had some great stats! Are anyone of you guys dropping your spots at McGill because of a U of M acceptance?

Guest sports gurl419

Take UBC. Like we are talking -20C from December to March... lol and don't forget a few days of -45C w/ Windchill...and though i'm being very realistic... i am also slightly bias because i'm on the waitlist, and UofM is all I applied to and all I want to go to.

I thought i had a good chance with a 4.2 GPA, good interview, and 20 on the DAT:( . But ah, i'm still young--and there is always next year--UNLESS you choose UBC!!!! lol.

And Manitoba is awesome--honestly, A Billion Mosquitoes can't be wrong! lol

Guest dentlove69

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments and help. This is a really tough decision, I am coming from Toronto, both places will be different from toronto. The living is sooo much better in Vancouver but the program and the TUITION looks much more better at U of M. Still confused, if anyone else out there has anymore suggestions or comments, please feel free to post them.

Thanks

Guest Halfmarathoner

Odd. I went rollerblading last night down Wellington Crescent, through Assiniboine Park and Assiniboine forest and there were no mosquitoes in sight.

Winnipeg is a great place.

Guest Predental

I have been accepted as an OOP and I must say, Winnipeg is an ideal and pleasant place to live. Small town feeling in a big city. Pollution isn't a problem, mosquitoes are being controlled, and plenty of warm weather come July and August. Fantastic place to be, quiet during the days, and somewhat lively at night. Remember when being in professional school, you predominately at the campus, which is unparalleled. I will be attending this school, not just for the tuition fee, but also for its surrounding environment.

Friends are here and there isn't much complain at their end.

On the flipside, BC and eastern Canada are phenomenal places to be and practice. However, to kick-start your education, Manitoba doesn't seem so bad.

In the end it is your choice.

Guest kellyl20

Pick Manitoba for the school.

Pick UBC for the city as the tuition is way way too much.

Cost of living in Winnipeg is around $750 per month rent for an apartment in a nicer area.

If you want to specialize then that becomes a factor.

I have a brother at UT doing a specialty, he did not choose UBC.

Guest dentlove69

Thank you guys for all your help and the supportive comments. Yes I do agree Manitoba is great for speciality, come on I think they have most of the specialities except pedo, but don't quote me on that one, and yes again, I do agree when your in school, your mostly studying during the year and your surrounded by your friends from school, so it doesn't matter what school you go to, as long as you have good friends, then every thing is great, and I am pretty sure, both classes are going to have amazing people (at U of M and UBC).

So far, i'm 75% U of M 25% UBC, the decision will be made soon, so who ever is next on the waiting list, don't wait too long someone, is going to have a good weekend this coming weekend.

Cheers

Guest dentlove69

Does anyone here know why we have to purchase that stupid laptop. I called today, and she said that its a must even if you have your own laptop, which I do and its still brand new >:

Guest Toothdecay

Is there anyone here who's on the Manitoba waitlist? I was just wondering if anyone knew how far they've gone on the list so far.

Congratulations to all of the students that have been accepted!

Guest sports gurl419

Ya i'm on the waitlist--waiting, and not knowing--They don't tell you your status until mid july or something.

Guest dentlove69

hey guys, from what I have heard is that if your on the waiting list, you have a good chance of getting in, I saw a couple of messages on this board of people who are droping U of M for UWO or U of A soo just hang in there, and hopefully we'll all meet in a couple of weeks

cheers

Guest dentgurl888

Does anyone know how far down the waitlist UofM usually gets? i know that as of the beginning of July they were at position 4.

Guest Toothdecay

I've heard of them going down to number 12 or even further down the list in some years. However, I'm not totally sure of the stats and, of course, every year is different. If anyone has any info from past years that would be really helpful! Also, if anyone who was just accepted off the waitlist could post here and mention what number they were, I think it would really help the rest of us who were waitlisted.

Guest Toothdecay

Hey uofmpredent, thanks for the info! Did you find this on the dentistry website? I couldn't find it on there... I was just wondering if there was anymore info I could find about the waitlist or anything else from previous years while I wait.

Archived