Premed 101 Forums

Both are good and are in high demand with great job markets across the country. Canada doesn't have the issue of dealing with insurance companies that want to reject any sort of medical service. Mid-level creep is also not a big issue. Psychiatry will definitely pay better than FM though. But there are a couple of barriers to the paths that you mentioned.

The first issue is that psychiatry residency is one year shorter in the US than it is in Canada. You will not be able to sit the Canadian boards immediately after finishing US training and will need an extra year of residency, fellowship, or practice to be eligible to sit the boards. I'm not sure of the exact specifics but you should contact the Royal College to make sure.

As for FM and possible FM fellowships, you're ineligible for the FM/EM match unless you're either a PGY2 in a Canadian FM residency or have finished your training in the US and hold CCFP designation. So you wouldn't be able to apply for it as a PGY3 doing an ACGME FM residency in the US. Also you mentioned FM surgical fellowships which are usually for people who want to practice in super rural areas. The program itself operates out of Prince Albert Saskatchewan to give you an idea of what it's geared towards. There's a glut of unemployed surgeons in Canada. You won't be doing much surgery as an FM if you don't plan on living in the middle of nowhere. But a regular FM lifestyle in a big city in Canada is more than possible and quite nice.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjOiKn4-c7wAhWFB80KHbSEC5gQFjABegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalcollege.ca%2Frcsite%2Fdocuments%2Fibd%2Fpsychiatry_str_e.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1tsiQccaFxy2WgPzdrJH8o

https://www.carms.ca/match/family-medicine-enhanced-skills-match/eligibility-criteria/

Don’t fool yourself that psych is super laid back. Just take a look at the parallel mental health issues around you during the pandemic. This is especially true for the children and adolescents (my area of expertise).

you need to enjoy psych is you do either family or psych residency. This is often forgotten by those who go to FM to escape psych.

17 hours ago, LostLamb said:

Don’t fool yourself that psych is super laid back. Just take a look at the parallel mental health issues around you during the pandemic. This is especially true for the children and adolescents (my area of expertise).

you need to enjoy psych is you do either family or psych residency. This is often forgotten by those who go to FM to escape psych.

Do you mind if I pm you, I am interested in child and adolescent psych. 

18 hours ago, LostLamb said:

What are the biggest stressors in your job?

4 hours ago, mdlifecrisis said:

What are the biggest stressors in your job?

We are a limited resource.

Psychiatrists are a limited resource. Child psychiatrists even more so. 

The kids and families are sicker. Resources are thinner. We are being asked to work more and harder to make up for the slack. 

Even if you do everything right, people  with lots of future ahead of them die or suffer significantly and you don’t have a lot to give in the pandemic. Even with focus on “mental health” it is a far cry from, say, cancer. Diabetes....etc...

the biggest stressor, honestly, is burn out.