Premed 101 Forums

ODA/CDA

Guest johnny888

Guest johnny888

I was just wondering whether there's any real benefit for joining the ODA or CDA while in dental school? has anyone in dental school made use of the benefits both organizations offer? the only benefit I can see are those free first aid courses, but if you only have to re-cert, it really isn't worthwhile. Just wanted to know your thoughts :)

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

you have the option to, but seems like they kinda "force" you into becoming one during the orientation luncheon.

Guest roofus

the ODA puts on quite a few events during the four years of dentistry that is subsidised by them and if you attend them you will easily make your initiation fee.

also, the ODA sends out alerts to its members of pending news articles that will affect how dentist's interact with their patients. Today, I received an email from the ODA warning of an article to be published in the Globe and Mail that takes aim at the use of Bisphenol A in dental resins. There may be concerns that it is toxic. The ODA also sent out an earlier alert for an article on the dead-horsed amalgam debate that another newspaper tried to pick a fight about.

The ODA also sends out a monthly journal which is helpful since you can read what is being researched in dentistry.

Hope this lends some insight.

Guest twistedbrain

the ODA/CDA provides the free cpr course training during first year. that's what I got during first year. For UWO dents, we also get an oda/cda reception dinner. You also get life insurance via CDA for free, disability insurance when you hit 3rd year. Oh one other thing my classmate took advantage of is that if you need somebody to do a literature search for you for a school project (because you are too busy partying or etc), you can call the CDA (or is it ODA, not sure) up and they will do it. The first time is free.

Yea, like roofus said, you also recieve ontario dentist, and oda email update, which alert you about the ongoing issues in our dental society. i.e. stuff between dental hygiene and dentist, absurd stuff that are being published without justifying the clinical evidence etc.

the word "force" seem to be a little bit exaggerated, you can go to the lunch/dinner, whether you join or not, doesn't matter, some ppl in my class didn't join. They are still alive and kicking!

Archived