Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 5/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, ot2022pls said:

Applied (OT): UBC, UofT, McMaster, Western, Queen's 

Accepted: UofT, Western, Queen's 

Rejected/Waitlisted: UBC, no word from McMaster :(

sGPA:3.86, cGPA: 3.69

CASPer score: 4th quartile 

If this helps at all, I'm a BC applicant lol. I think my interview skills needs a little brushing up haha (rejected at the schools that needed an interview)

I am a BC applicant with the exact same offers!! Do you know which one you will accept? I’ve never been to Ontario so I’m super torn with which city and program would suit me best. 

Hey! I actually don’t intend to go the OT route anymore but I thought I’d share my stats anyways!  

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofT, queens, mac… all OT
Accepted: UofT
Waitlisted:
Rejected: Queens, Mac (attended MMI)
GPA: sgpa- 3.9, cgpa- 3.78, casper- 4th
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essays were good! My references were decent as well. My only real experiences I could use were academic achievements from undergrad (thesis work etc.) and patient care being a pharmacy assistant. I have no experience in the sector of rehabilitation whatsoever, which I really thought would limit me from any acceptances. Also I absolutely blew my mac MMI:P oops

I really didn’t expect to get in anywhere, so I was really honoured even though I’ve chosen a different career path hahah. Congrats and best of luck to you all! I’ll be turning down my uoft offer shortly to open up a spot:)

Applied (PT): UofT, McMaster, Queen's, Western 
Accepted: Queen's (accepting!)
Waitlisted: Western (top/upper third; email received May 17th), McMaster (#96; email received May 16th)
Rejected: UofT (nothing on ACORN leading up to results day on May 13th)
GPA: 3.88 cGPA and 3.97 sGPA 
CASPer: 3rd quartile 
Year: graduating from undergrad  

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: References should have been strong; I used my research supervisor + employer (non-PT related). The Mac Kira Talent interview felt really short and I didn't feel prepared cause it was so early in the application cycle. Was expecting a direct rejection from Mac cause the interview is worth 75%. The UofT CAP was a time crunch but the questions didn't feel too difficult. I thought I did alright on the CAP. Was expecting a decent chance at UofT, especially considering the sGPA is worth 60% and the minimum sGPA for a CAP invite is usually ~3.8. My essays for Western and Queen's felt so-so cause I had experience reflecting and writing about my ECs/experiences/competencies, but I had no direct PT experience; instead, I related to PT and communicated my knowledge of PT. 

Expected chances: UofT > Western > Queen's >= McMaster 

Actual chances: Queen's > Western >= McMaster > UofT  

Applied (OT): UofT, McMaster, Western, Queen's 

Accepted: UofT, McMaster, Queen's

Waitlisted: Western

Rejected:

sGPA:3.87, cGPA: 3.71

CASPer score: 3rd quartile 

Essays/interviews/references:

Felt that my essays were really strong. One reference was from a professor, other was from my old volunteer supervisor. Both knew me really well  for 2-3 years and I know they both wrote really good references for me.

I had two years experience at a sexual health clinic, 8 months research experience at a hospital, 1 year experience working with an SLP for a day program, 1 year experience as a volunteer coordinator for a youth sexual health program, current job as a caregiver for a home care agency.

Did about a week of prep for the interview with McMaster and felt it went well. Also did about a week of prep for the CASPer but didn't feel great about it after.

I'll be accepting UofT. Good luck to everyone on the waitlists!

8 minutes ago, otapp22 said:

Applied (OT): UofT, McMaster, Western, Queen's 

Accepted: UofT, McMaster, Queen's

Waitlisted: Western

Rejected:

sGPA:3.87, cGPA: 3.71

CASPer score: 3rd quartile 

Essays/interviews/references:

Felt that my essays were really strong. One reference was from a professor, other was from my old volunteer supervisor. Both knew me really well  for 2-3 years and I know they both wrote really good references for me.

I had two years experience at a sexual health clinic, 8 months research experience at a hospital, 1 year experience working with an SLP for a day program, 1 year experience as a volunteer coordinator for a youth sexual health program, current job as a caregiver for a home care agency.

Did about a week of prep for the interview with McMaster and felt it went well. Also did about a week of prep for the CASPer but didn't feel great about it after.

I'll be accepting UofT. Good luck to everyone on the waitlists!

Can I ask why you are choosing UofT from your offers? :)

Hi! For anyone who is at UofT (or was accepted) for OT, do you know the start date of the program? I saw something about a one day online orientation last year and then classes starting after labour day. I'm wondering if we can expect to have to be in Toronto before labour day?? Does UofT typically have a mandatory in-person orientation? 

Thanks guys ☺️ 

35 minutes ago, EllieOT2022 said:

Hi! For anyone who is at UofT (or was accepted) for OT, do you know the start date of the program? I saw something about a one day online orientation last year and then classes starting after labour day. I'm wondering if we can expect to have to be in Toronto before labour day?? Does UofT typically have a mandatory in-person orientation? 

Thanks guys ☺️ 

The acceptance email said they will give this information in June! I think it’s hard to say because COVID affected previous years and they may have changed some things after doing online stuff… :/ congrats on getting in! Are you planning on accepting UofT’s offer? 

Does anyone have information on Alberta’s OT program, or contacts with OT students  there? I haven’t been able to find much information about the program and am trying to decide between Alberta and a few Ontario schools… but without information on Alberta’s program it’s difficult to decide!