Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone tried doing another residency in States after finishing a FM residency in Canada?

14 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Write the USMLEs and do whatever else you need to be eligible, try and build connections with programs/get LORs that will overcome the red flags on your application of YOG and prior training.

What is YOG? I had no redflags- I applied to Anesthesia and ENT and  had interviews but did not match to either  and I am looking for options to do the training that I enjoy in either field, instead of being stuck in a career that I don't really love for the next 40 years.

Year of graduation, ie not being a fresh grad is a red flag. Some programs are hesitant to have residents with prior training as well. I'm not saying it's impossible, who knows there might be a small program who likes you, but you're likely going to have to do aggressive networking etc. to overcome these issues as well as the visa requirement. Alternatively you can look into anaesthesia or ER +1s for family which might be an easier route.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, carmsregrets said:

What is YOG? I had no redflags- I applied to Anesthesia and ENT and  had interviews but did not match to either  and I am looking for options to do the training that I enjoy in either field, instead of being stuck in a career that I don't really love for the next 40 years.

ENT might be a long shot but I think you'll be able to realistically get an anesthesia spot in the USA if you do well on your steps, particularly step 2 now as step 1 has regrettably become pass/fail.