Premed 101 Forums

UBC 2026

Alright here we go for all those looking to apply next year and wanting guidance:

Accepted IP/OOP: OOP

DAT (AA/PAT): 22/24

GPA: 3.6 with worst year dropped + 90% average from 3 masters courses

ECs: Lots of research, many (unique) jobs, no long term volunteer commitments 

Interview: I really did not feel good about it! I felt like I didn't answer the questions and just told random stories. Goes to show that you can't be the judge of your own performance. I think my absolute excitement to just be interviewing was conveyed. 

Im pretty sure my personal statement and how I wrote my ECs are what got me my interview invite. My GPA is low and I have no dental experiences. For those applying next year your really need to focus on your writing!

5 hours ago, Dance_dental said:

Alright here we go for all those looking to apply next year and wanting guidance:

DAT (AA/PAT): 22/24

GPA: 3.6 with worst year dropped + 90% average from 3 masters courses

ECs: Lots of research, many (unique) jobs, no long term volunteer commitments 

Interview: I really did not feel good about it! I felt like I didn't answer the questions and just told random stories. Goes to show that you can't be the judge of your own performance. I think my absolute excitement to just be interviewing was conveyed. 

Im pretty sure my personal statement and how I wrote my ECs are what got me my interview invite. My GPA is low and I have no dental experiences. For those applying next year your really need to focus on your writing!

Im glad to hear someone also felt like the interview went poorly. I thought I did horrendous as well. I thought I was rambling on a few questions and I thought I was also talking too little for some. After the interview, I couldn't stop thinking about how I could have potentially answered some of the questions better. Like you have mentioned, do NOT judge so harshly on yourself on how you did as you probably did better than you think!  See you in september!

DAT (AA/PAT): 25/23

GPA: 3.9

ECs: only research and dental assistant, no volunteering experiences.

Interview: MMI was overall alright. definitely was not a big fan of SGIs. I felt like I was not engaging enough for SGI but i guess being a good listener was as important xd

Overall I was surprised that I got the offer. I do agree with @Dance_dental that the personal statement is very important. My school provided some editing services for PS and I also got extra assistance from my friends. Good luck :)

Accepted IP/OOP: IP

DAT (AA/PAT): 23/23

GPA: 89%

ECs: Dental assisting for work + volunteer, ~100 hours shadowing, undergrad research in MICB & Dentistry, run a non-profit that focuses on outreach for underserved communities, various other volunteer/work in healthcare settings and outreach. 

Interview: Felt very short on time with the MMI and often felt like I wasn't able conclude or summarize my points very well with the time given. Felt really good with the SGI, honestly found it to be really enjoyable! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, Babytoof said:

Accepted IP/OOP: IP

DAT (AA/PAT): 23/23

GPA: 89%

ECs: Dental assisting for work + volunteer, ~100 hours shadowing, undergrad research in MICB & Dentistry, run a non-profit that focuses on outreach for underserved communities, various other volunteer/work in healthcare settings and outreach. 

Interview: Felt very short on time with the MMI and often felt like I wasn't able conclude or summarize my points very well with the time given. Felt really good with the SGI, honestly found it to be really enjoyable! 

Wow congrats!! Can I know how you managed to do research in the dentistry field in your undergrad? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know if UBC DMD admissions are picky about which undergraduate program one is enrolled in as long as the pre requisites courses are completed ? For example if I declare a psychology major will that effect my chances? Also, do the upper level psychology courses transfer to UBC DMD gpa calculations because I checked on BC Transfer guide and many of them don't.... I don't want to take courses, do well in them and then not even have them counted to boost my marks :( !

Any advice appreciated. Also any feedback on whether part time studies/full-time studies matters? 

9 hours ago, HappyCamper 1994 said:

Does anyone know if UBC DMD admissions are picky about which undergraduate program one is enrolled in as long as the pre requisites courses are completed ? For example if I declare a psychology major will that effect my chances? Also, do the upper level psychology courses transfer to UBC DMD gpa calculations because I checked on BC Transfer guide and many of them don't.... I don't want to take courses, do well in them and then not even have them counted to boost my marks :( !

Any advice appreciated. Also any feedback on whether part time studies/full-time studies matters? 

UBC doesn't care about your undergraduate program only your pre requisites. As far as they concern you could be studying music and apply for dentistry (in which case let's be friends :D)

As for marks, ALL your undergraduate courses count towards your GPA including failed courses (with the exception of your worst year provided you have 4 years or more of undergraduate study). Their credits may not transfer but their marks count towards your GPA.

Also I'm not too sure about FT/PT studies. However, there are lots of other universities that have at least a few years of FT study as requirement (eg. Western). While I don't know of any such requirement at UBC, being a FT student and getting a high GPA should naturally put you higher as you had a bigger work load. 

I recommend that you visit the FAQ page at UBC Dentistry as these questions and many other related questions are answered there. 

Goodluck! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...