Premed 101 Forums

If a resident physician applies to second iteration of CaRMS- does anyone from their home program has to know anything?

Technically no, but not having any references from your home program will be a red flag. They might assume you're a problem resident who is on probation or failing out and looking to get out. And wonder why you don't have support of your home program. And you seem concerned that your home program might find out and that would be bad, which means they would be correct to be concerned. You see where I'm going?

2 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Technically no, but not having any references from your home program will be a red flag. They might assume you're a problem resident who is on probation or failing out and looking to get out. And wonder why you don't have support of your home program. And you seem concerned that your home program might find out and that would be bad, which means they would be correct to be concerned. You see where I'm going?

I am concerned that they would find out because it may affect future career prospects - not because I am probation or failing out lol.  are you sure people hold such negative views and make such assumptions.

15 hours ago, health&wellness&balance said:

I am concerned that they would find out because it may affect future career prospects - not because I am probation or failing out lol.  are you sure people hold such negative views and make such assumptions.

From what you've told me, you don't have a healthy relationship with your program. Most PDs care about their residents and want them to succeed - if they have an unhappy resident they would rather help them then have an unhappy resident continue through their program, as much as they can. If you're afraid of negative repercussions of expressing this to your program, then there is an issue. That issue could 100% be on your program or PD, or, it could be a problem with you as a resident - interpersonal skills or whatever. Without collateral information, I have no idea. I don't know what program you're interested in, but as a PD, I would want that collateral before committing up to 5 years closely working with you. Maybe you have a known toxic program and a program interviewing you would very much understand when you explained, but I find that unlikely. There's a reason you need a letter from your PD for program transfers.

People have been able to transfer without their program knowing, they had references from specific staff but not their PD. They didn't apply to 2nd interation of CaRMS however, so I wouldn't know about that. 

I understand why someone may not want their program to know however, if they decide not to transfer or if they don't successfully transfer, they wouldn't want to burn any bridges with their current program. 

5 hours ago, Edict said:

People have been able to transfer without their program knowing, they had references from specific staff but not their PD. They didn't apply to 2nd interation of CaRMS however, so I wouldn't know about that. 

I understand why someone may not want their program to know however, if they decide not to transfer or if they don't successfully transfer, they wouldn't want to burn any bridges with their current program. 

That's fair, I'm just explaining why it would be a red flag to have no reference from anyone in their program, I'm sure there are people who have pulled it off tho.