Premed 101 Forums

Family Med 3 years?

5 hours ago, shikimate said:

Apparently in the last 3 weeks a lot of physicians online have been discussing about ways to vote for CFPC to reconsider the 3 year residency. I am not part of CFPC so I don't know the details about how to vote but if you search around on FB groups for Canadian physicians/FMD, you should be able to easily find this information

The AGM is tomorrow and someone has put forward a motion to essentially put the brakes on the whole thing. Members of the CFPC can vote (and should have already received instructions), but I don’t know that this includes residents / students.  Any practicing family doctors who are members should have received info for how to attend / vote by proxy in their email. 

3 hours ago, frenchpress said:

The AGM is tomorrow and someone has put forward a motion to essentially to the brakes on the whole thing. Members of the CFPC can vote (and should have already received instructions), but I don’t know that this includes residents / students.  Any practicing family doctors who are members should have received info for how to attend / vote by proxy in their email. 

Big thing on Twitter for weeks. No residents or students can vote, convenient eh? But staff physicians and multiple organizations have been against this and the CFPC is bulldozing through all of it and acting like they’re the omnipotent gods in the matter, it’s actually quite surreal to see. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cfpc.ca/en/ceasing-third-year-and-response-to-amm-a-message-from-the-cfpc-president

Motion defeated!

Finally these delusional policy makers in their white tower listned to the overhwelming anti-3rd year sentiment from all the community practicing family doctors (who voted 91% against implement 3 year family medicine rsidencies) and basically every other family medicine organization (OCFP, CPSO). Family medicine will remain 2 years and the cpfc need to really evluate whether they have the canadian family doctor's interest at heart, 

On 11/9/2023 at 5:07 AM, deathvvv said:

https://www.cfpc.ca/en/ceasing-third-year-and-response-to-amm-a-message-from-the-cfpc-president

Motion defeated!

Finally these delusional policy makers in their white tower listned to the overhwelming anti-3rd year sentiment from all the community practicing family doctors (who voted 91% against implement 3 year family medicine rsidencies) and basically every other family medicine organization (OCFP, CPSO). Family medicine will remain 2 years and the cpfc need to really evluate whether they have the canadian family doctor's interest at heart, 

Has it been killed for good, or are they gonna "reevaluate" and bring it back? Any insiders know?

On 11/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, MilwaukeeProtocol said:

Has it been killed for good, or are they gonna "reevaluate" and bring it back? Any insiders know?

"We have ceased the implementation of the third year in family medicine residency training and will undertake a comprehensive review of this decision guided by the member motion that was put forward at the 2023 AMM."

This is what they are saying. As of right now, my understanding is they are going to attempt to reevaluate things and (at least what they say) engage members on potential paths forward for addressing the family medicine crisis. If they are true to their word and plan on letting the membership base guide decision making, then I don't see it ever moving forward. I would imagine however that leadership is facing a lot of pressure from power bases above us to push this forward.

16 hours ago, Supervenience said:

"We have ceased the implementation of the third year in family medicine residency training and will undertake a comprehensive review of this decision guided by the member motion that was put forward at the 2023 AMM."

This is what they are saying. As of right now, my understanding is they are going to attempt to reevaluate things and (at least what they say) engage members on potential paths forward for addressing the family medicine crisis. If they are true to their word and plan on letting the membership base guide decision making, then I don't see it ever moving forward. I would imagine however that leadership is facing a lot of pressure from power bases above us to push this forward.

Makes sense. Selfishly, as a 2028 grad, I just hope I finish med school before CFPC bring the 3 year residency back!