Premed 101 Forums

Research Experience- Helpful For CaRMS?

Hi everyone! I am a second year medical student in Toronto and as summer is approaching, I'm starting to think about how I want to use my break. Almost out of a force of habit, I decided to apply to some research positions this summer, as I vaguely recalled students mentioning that research would help with CaRMS applications. However, I'm realizing that this is going to be one of my last opportunities for a true break before clerkship starts, and so I want to make sure that any research position I end up taking is worth my time. Do people typically use research PIs as CaRMS referees? I have a summer research offer from an amazing accomplished clinician scientist who works in pediatrics, one of the main specialities I am interested in. If I don't do an elective with her, would it not be wise to use her as one of my CaRMS referees (even if my project is primarily clinical and I do observerships with her)? Does research look good on a CV when applying through CaRMS? The main fields I am interested in are pediatrics, neurology, and internal medicine at the moment, but if I end up wanting to apply for more competitive specialities (ER, derm, optho, etc.), would research experience help with those?

I also just need to get a job this summer to make some money before clerkship starts, so if anything I'd rather do something I was comfortable with and really enjoy, as I have previous research experience (compared to like working at Tim Hortons or retail). But if that's the only reason why I'd be doing research, I'd definitely want to do part-time work/discuss a shorter duration for the summer with my potential PI soon (in order to maximize relaxation and traveling). 

Thank you all so much in advance!! This whole CaRMS process is so confusing and I'd appreciate any insights :)

Although I don't think research is necessary for most specialties, given your interest in pediatrics, I would think twice before throwing away this opportunity that has become available to you. In terms of earning $$ during the summer, I came to the conclusion that this is a zero sum gain - given that the money earned would likely reduce the bursary available to you, i.e., you may be working for nothing. I certainly would not let earning extra $$ as a serious consideration in reaching a decision.

When in med school, summer for me was strictly for rest and relaxation - as the next such time available was going to be in decades away in retirement.

Everybody's situation is different. I ended up in a surgical specialty, and my selection in CaRMS was due to my soft skills as otherwise, I was the least qualified candidate.

Research would generally be worth your time. Even if you don't end up with a publication, it's an activity that would check off research interest in that specialty for programs that like it. I don't think a letter from a PI would be as valued as from someone who you worked with clinically, but it would be great if your PI could speak to your research and clinical skills. Thus having that relationship with your PI may be a stepping stone to clinical opportunities (depending on shadowing policies which have been changing  frequently recently) or you can try to book your elective so that you're on rotation together. 

Agree with Bambi, I would not consider finances for the summer, but if there was a job you would enjoy and also enrich your application, it could also be an option.  

Research in field > research >> no research. As fields get more competitive they tend to value research in those fields more (ex: derm, opt, plastics) and it also becomes a good way to show interest. Having any research at least shows that you're capable of taking a project from start to finish.

Letter from PI + clinical work > clinical work >> PI. Clinical letters are the priority since PDs are looking for clinicians first, researchers second (if at all).

I personally did not have the option to travel (thanks COVID) but I would strongly advise you spend at least 2-4 weeks away. It's likely the only other time in your life that you will have 8+ weeks of uninterrupted free time is after matching.