Premed 101 Forums

Matching into residency at non-home university

My understanding from what I've heard is that especially with competitive specialties (plastics, derm, optho, etc), you really need to get to know the residency directors/residents on a personal level to have any chance at matching, since many of these specialties take in such a small number of people per school. If that is the case, how can one be competitive enough to match into competitive specialties at other schools if the only time/exposure they have with staff are during weeks-long electives? Is the only way just to pad up your resume to the max or really make an impression during electives and hope that what's on "paper" will make you competitive enough when compared to those who have strong connections with their home school program/residents?

5 hours ago, dusah said:

My understanding from what I've heard is that especially with competitive specialties (plastics, derm, optho, etc), you really need to get to know the residency directors/residents on a personal level to have any chance at matching, since many of these specialties take in such a small number of people per school. If that is the case, how can one be competitive enough to match into competitive specialties at other schools if the only time/exposure they have with staff are during weeks-long electives? Is the only way just to pad up your resume to the max or really make an impression during electives and hope that what's on "paper" will make you competitive enough when compared to those who have strong connections with their home school program/residents?

Letters from staff at that school, letters from prominent names in small fields that everyone recognizes, being an actual A++ candidate with research/awards/etc, having people at your school reach out to their colleagues at that school, etc. It was easier back when you could do 3-4 week electives somewhere.

This was before the pandemic, but people find many ways to make connections with a program. For example, they do summer research projects at a different school, they do "site visits" during vacation or days off, they find ways for informal chats/lunch meets with residents, reach out on LinkedIn, attend conferences and meetings, word of mouth from your local school, etc etc. I've even heard of people joining certain recreational sports teams to get to meet with some of the staff etc.

It's basically just like the real business world out there. There's no textbook way to make connections, you pull out whatever tricks you have up your sleeve. 

The hardest pill to swallow as one wades through the school-residency-staff experience will probably be rejection. It's almost guaranteed at some point one will get turned down for a reference letter, first choice program, fellowship, job, or whatever. I tell people the most important thing to learn is smile at your enemies, even if you think they're the most vile person out there. If you can learn that, then overcoming rejection will not be a problem for you. Don't take rejections personally, and don't ruminate on them. Take yesterday's pains, and make them fuel for tomorrow's gains.

Same applying this year, and I know a lot of my classmates reached out to do remote projects (think systematic reviews, meta-analysis) with residents for their #1 programs. Also, working super hard and getting your name known at your home program can also help for smaller specialties, since residents/staff will talk to each other.