Premed 101 Forums

Trinity College Dublin + University College Dublin

Has anyone heard back from Trinity College? I'm trying so hard to find application timelines for Irish medical schools but they aren't published anywhere. I've already got an interview with RSCI.

I know that Trinity doesn't do an interview, but I have no idea how long I should be waiting to hear.

I'm also wondering about a University College Dublin timeline if people know!

• AbsolutelyNot changed the title to Trinity College Dublin + University College Dublin
  • 2 months later...

Same I heard back as well. I have a problem though which I think many canadiens have. I have my offer and the deposit is due May 3rd. Deposit is like 12000 CAD ish. But we dont hear back from Canadian med until mid May. Are you guys going to use your savings on this deposit even though it might just go to waste. Its this just how it is? the sacirfice must be made?

Some background info: I'm pretty low income and I don't have much financial support from my parents/family. I would have to use 90% of my savings for this deposit.

Life is not fair and sometimes, requires hard choices. This is such a case. If you definitely will accept this opportunity if you are not accepted by a Canadian school, then in my opinion, you need to pay and sacrifice the deposit if need be. Should you be accepted in Canada, you will have a LOC and this payment will be affordable (and the cost of life) in the grand scheme of life. Provided you will be able to cover the expense beyond the deposit, I would bite the bullet and pay, come what may. I too come from poverty and survived only on student loans beyond high school, including the LOC. I had zero savings. It is not a "waste", it is securing a "lifeline" for your future on the basis you will follow through if you must. 

13 hours ago, BabyYoda said:

Same I heard back as well. I have a problem though which I think many canadiens have. I have my offer and the deposit is due May 3rd. Deposit is like 12000 CAD ish. But we dont hear back from Canadian med until mid May. Are you guys going to use your savings on this deposit even though it might just go to waste. Its this just how it is? the sacirfice must be made?

Some background info: I'm pretty low income and I don't have much financial support from my parents/family. I would have to use 90% of my savings for this deposit.

If you don't have a wealthy parent/benefactor and can't get EU tuition - do NOT pay the deposit.  You will have no way to pay the tuition at 45 000 E = 62K/yr to matriculate in the school.  

You will simply be losing your savings - no lending agency can loan that amount of money.  Even if you somehow got a Canadian line of credit this will NOT cover that amount of tuition.  Keep your savings and do your best to make yourself competitive for Canadian med schools for which you can obtain a LOC without a co-signor.

If you are refused from Canadian med schools, then you could write about your interest, but lack of resources to allow you to afford the tuition (and living expenses!).  I doubt they can do anything, but at least you can indicate why you wouldn't be attending.

hAldE8A.png

https://www.tcd.ie/academicregistry/fees-and-payments/assets/world/UG_NEU_1920_v2.pdf

On 4/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, indefatigable said:

If you don't have a wealthy parent/benefactor and can't get EU tuition - do NOT pay the deposit.  You will have no way to pay the tuition at 45 000 E = 62K/yr to matriculate in the school.  

You will simply be losing your savings - no lending agency can loan that amount of money.  Even if you somehow got a Canadian line of credit this will NOT cover that amount of tuition.  Keep your savings and do your best to make yourself competitive for Canadian med schools for which you can obtain a LOC without a co-signor.

If you are refused from Canadian med schools, then you could write about your interest, but lack of resources to allow you to afford the tuition (and living expenses!).  I doubt they can do anything, but at least you can indicate why you wouldn't be attending.

hAldE8A.png

https://www.tcd.ie/academicregistry/fees-and-payments/assets/world/UG_NEU_1920_v2.pdf

You're absolutely right. Im just looking into OSAP and LOCs right now and speaking to my uncle about co-signings and stuff. I'm definitely going to reach out to their financial services to see if they can help me out or point me in the right direction for resources. Thank you for the helpful input!

On 4/17/2022 at 9:11 AM, Bambi said:

Life is not fair and sometimes, requires hard choices. This is such a case. If you definitely will accept this opportunity if you are not accepted by a Canadian school, then in my opinion, you need to pay and sacrifice the deposit if need be. Should you be accepted in Canada, you will have a LOC and this payment will be affordable (and the cost of life) in the grand scheme of life. Provided you will be able to cover the expense beyond the deposit, I would bite the bullet and pay, come what may. I too come from poverty and survived only on student loans beyond high school, including the LOC. I had zero savings. It is not a "waste", it is securing a "lifeline" for your future on the basis you will follow through if you must. 

Ya i guess  i have no choice to bite the bullet. If I can actually put together the money and loans to afford the tuition, I'm going to have to pay the deposit for the sake of insuring myself. Thanks for the advice!

Before making the deposit, your uncle MUST absolutely commit to co-signing at the bank AND you need a bank to agree to the loan. You should have a meeting with your uncle and the bank (with a person authorized to commit the bank) - so as to be positive that the bank will make the loan based upon his signature and assets/income, e.g., if your uncle is willing to sign on  the line but the bank won't accept him as a co-signer b/c his assets/income are insufficient to qualify, then don't pay the deposit. The devil is in the details! 

Hey guys, thought I would chime in. 

I applied to Trinity last year and got accepted but due to the high financial cost and risk, I refused to pay the deposit. Especially since I was waiting to hear back from Ontario schools like a week later. I decided to reapply this year because I didn't end up getting into Canadian med schools last year and was pretty devastated. But now I'm faced with the same dilemma and I'm waiting to hear back from Ontario schools again -- I feel my interviews went better this time around. Last year, I remember asking Trinity and Atlantic bridge for an extension and both of them refused. Their scholarships/bursaries are not very suited to international students in first year either. They were not accommodating which kind of sucks but such is life... Honestly, if you're in the same position as I am, you have to ask yourself if you're willing to make that gamble. Last year, I kind of regretted not securing my option with Trinity but things worked out well in the end, so was it for the best? idk! My dream is still to become a doctor and practice in Canada.

The tuition is a huge drawback for me though and would be an immense burden since I would be funding it solo and my province doesn't offer any financial aid for medical studies outside Canada. How are you guys feeling about this? How are you going to make your decisions/what is helping you to do so? The kicker is the cost is not only the tuition but the accommodations, travel expenses, cost of living is more expensive, once you're there you will want to travel also, and of course, there is the emotional cost as well of living so far from home.

I am having all the same thoughts of nervousness and anxiety about the risk of not being able to come back to Canada, and if I do, will I be bound to family medicine and signing a contract for 5-7 years in a remote area....and then paying off debt for 20-30 years... I'd really love to connect with some of you facing the same dilemma and share our feelings as I know this is such a difficult and emotional decision for many of us.