Premed 101 Forums

Feb DAT...the aftermath...

Guest power2005

Guest power2005

How did you all find it?

For me:

Carving: Better then expected.

Bio: Not good considering I'm a bio major......some were quite specific....(sea urchins????? ergh.....)

Chem: It's a blur...I remember staring at a few before I came to a conclusion....

Percep: Finished without just guessing....but 73 and 74 frigged me up for about 5 minutes because I thought I was missing something....

And two of the questions were repeated....will they leave it as 2 separate questions? Or will they knock one of them out? (Hopefully I got them right if they keep them both....)

Reading: Better than expected. I'm a slow reader and I was on the final passage with 20 minutes left to go. Had time to go back to 4 questions that I didn't feel confident in answering.

If I had to make a guess at my scores:

Carving - possibly 15ish

Bio - hopefully higher than 15, but I'm a bit worried....

Chem - same as bio......

Percep - hopefully higher than 15 once again....

Reading - 20ish

Have many people felt poorly about a section and got a surprisingly higher than expected mark?

Oh well...its over now!

Greg

Guest jonnyjonjon19

My first DAT so I can't complain. Carving wen't pretty well considering the room I wrote in was freezing and everyone was shivering. I thought the shape was pretty good anyway, not too hard (at least not as bad as nov. from what I hear.)

I gotta agree with Greg about the bio though. A sea urchine? No idea what that was all about. I'm a phys major, so I was kinda hopeing for more questions around that, but no luck.

Chem was pretty good i guess, don't really remember it too much.

I spent way to much time on that 73 and 74. I guess thats what makes time management so key. The angles were way harder than I expected.

Reading should be pretty good. A couple questions were kinda dumb, like there were no "correct" answers but you had to choose the "most correct" one, that kinda thing.

I'd like to know how people that have taken it before felt about this test, and If they expect lower or higher based on the content and how they felt.

Thats about it, hope everyone did well ... (well, not everyone I guess, it is standardized :P)

Jon

Guest uofmpredent

I took the dat in november as well and they had the same problem with those cube questions with no answers. So, experience paid off for me there...saw that there was no answer and moved on. The rest of the PAT went pretty well for me, I think. Nice bonus for us with the 2 repeated questions! Some of those angles are too close to call. Went back and changed a couple at the end.

I found bio tough as I always do. I really should study more, but its just so damn boring! Although, thanks to this board, I was aware of the sea urchin question and got that one. Chem was a little better for me. Reading comp also seemed better for this one than the last dat. The topics were at least a little more interesting which helps the memory when answering questions.

The carving shape was straightforward, but tough in spots. Trying to get the knife in that one saddle that was only 3mm deep was a pain!

That's my take...anyone else?

Guest wishywish82

I cut myself on carving and am hoping to improve on my "stellar" 8 from November. I always manage to get the driest soap and the sharpest blade, it really sucks cause as power can testify to I can carve, just when you mess with the consistancy of stuff it makes for bad results. It's like practicing shooting basketballs on a 10 foot rim and then they raise it to 12 feet.

Didn't study extradordinarly hard for science or reading as I had 21 and 20 on the Nov DAT.

PAT I found easier than normal, there were a few repeat questions in the sections, who ever makes up the PAT exams must just pick and choose questions blindly. So I'm hoping to bring up my 16.

Notice of Dal interviews go out next week.

Guest sunnysourire

Carving: I cut myself but managed to get the shape in the end with a few extra mintues to fix up the coners and such.. so alright

Bio: I had to guess on a lot of questions, i'd say my worst section

Chem: better, a few guesses but overall alright

PAT: is by far my strongest section, so i think it well pretty well. i found both angles and the folding sections harder than my practice tests though

Reading: I'm quite happy b/c it was the first time I actually finished the 3 passages..(not necessarily with correct answers but still:)

so overall, fairly good, not spectacular..i guess it depends on how everyone else did.

By the way, does anyone know when we should expect results?!!

Guest power2005

Does next week for Dal interviews mean this coming week...ie tomorrow is the start of the week...or NEXT week...ie monday the 27th???

I asked after the reading and she said "next week", but I don't know if that meant this one or actually next week...

She said they will go out in the mail on monday(so either this one or next), so they can probably be expected wednesday or thursday. I'm just confused about which wednesday or thursday...

Hey!

For those of you who wrote the DAT for the second time, did you think that the level of difficulty for the exam was the same as the last time you wrote it, but u were better prepared, or was it just easier??

thanx

Guest uofmpredent

The sea urchin question had to do with a membrane that prevented double fertilization.

The carving had two saddles...one 5mm deep, the other 3mm deep...I believe they were 15mm long and 20mm long, but I could be wrong. They were both on the same side. There was a slant on the opposite side that was 26mm from the end and 10mm deep off the end. The other end was a slanted square that measured 8mm x 8mm.

Guest Lost111

This was my first DAT ever.

I thought that the carving section was pretty easy. The shape required that not too much soap is taken off but that you give a lot of attention to detail. What I did not know before going into the test is that they give you 5 min before you start to measure and carve to look at the picture and measurements on paper and plan how you are going to mark your soap. After this 5 min, you have 30 minutes to mark and carve. I was done about 5 min. before and had that time to smooth out everything. Of course, I wish I had more time to make it perfect. We will see when the marks come out how I did.

I thought that the Bio/Chem section was the hardest. I had to stare at some of the questions, then worry that I am wasting my time and guess for alot of them. Alot of them had to do with Embryology and Plants which I did not study enough of. The sea urchin question went over my head! They also asked trivia knowledge questions like how old the Earth is. The first question was on which of these did NOT exist when life on earth began: water, H, C,O, CO2. Chem questions included delta H calculations, Hess's Law, one question asked what is the first law of thermodynamics, equations where you had to choose the acid or base, there was a pH question, some general molar calculations, there was one with half life, one about describing an oxidizing agent: questions that are expected if you studied.

I thought that the perceptual ability part was the easiest. I am a visual person and I seemed to just flow through them. They seemed to be easier than the IQ publications practice questions but the angles and the folding section was harder than usual. There were duplicate questions as well.

The reading part was also pretty straight forward. There was 1 article about antibiotic resistance, 1 about planets/asteroids, and 1 about genetic diseases. The text was easy to read and not very hardcore scientific. If you are a fast reader, you would fly through it. I found that the questions they asked were easy enough that you could just fish for the answers in the text without actually having read it. I actually ran out of time at the end and had to guess like 3 of them. But overall, I think I did pretty well in that.

Archived