Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Switching to a different program in the same specialty


Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm a PGY-1 and have some questions about changing programs. I recently met someone who switched to a program out of province, in the same specialty they were originally in. I want to do something similar because I feel like that other province would be a better fit for a few reasons. I don't know how to contact this person but would like to talk to someone about this process.

If anyone knows about this process or has gone through it, please message me if you are able/willing! Thanks in advance :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Relatively rare. There is a national process where you start with your PGME department and they reach out to other programs to see what availability is. It happens, as you say, but in my anecdotal experience, transfers between programs at the same school are much more common, as are transfers within provinces.

Reach out to your PGME office about the transfer process. You don't have to let your program or PD know at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, questions123 said:

Hi, I'm a PGY-1 and have some questions about changing programs. I recently met someone who switched to a program out of province, in the same specialty they were originally in. I want to do something similar because I feel like that other province would be a better fit for a few reasons. I don't know how to contact this person but would like to talk to someone about this process.

If anyone knows about this process or has gone through it, please message me if you are able/willing! Thanks in advance :)

DM me and I can give you some information about it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our very small program has accepted around 5-6 transfers from other programs within the same specialty, same and different provinces over the past 10 years or so. Usually for the reason of a medical spouse having to come to this city for training. Funding not guaranteed, but our program has been open to transfer (and are in the process of accepting a transfer for this July, hopefully). I would say it is hard work but absolutely possible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 5/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, ChemPetE said:

Our very small program has accepted around 5-6 transfers from other programs within the same specialty, same and different provinces over the past 10 years or so. Usually for the reason of a medical spouse having to come to this city for training. Funding not guaranteed, but our program has been open to transfer (and are in the process of accepting a transfer for this July, hopefully). I would say it is hard work but absolutely possible

Im currently a PGY1 from a small surgical specialty (2-3 Residents /year) and would be interested in doing a "same-specialty" transfer within ontario to one school in particular for spousal reasons. Do you have any advice on if this is feasible assuming no one from my desired destination drops out? Have you ever heard of residents within a specialty swapping programs? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ginster said:

Im currently a PGY1 from a small surgical specialty (2-3 Residents /year) and would be interested in doing a "same-specialty" transfer within ontario to one school in particular for spousal reasons. Do you have any advice on if this is feasible assuming no one from my desired destination drops out? Have you ever heard of residents within a specialty swapping programs? 

Have heard of surgery/anesthesia transferring within Ontario. Not sure of logistics with programs with 1-2 residents a year, in terms of ensuring enough surgical volume, etc. Will be up to program. No harm in reaching out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...