Premed 101 Forums

return to academic center without felowship

I think your question is too vague, there are too many unknown variables to answer your question:

- what specialty? some academic center departments are very short staffed. If they are desperate for people there's good chance they'll hire you without fellowship.

- what is an "academic center"? Like do you mean the main teaching hospital of a university like Toronto General Hospital? What about hospital in like Brampton or Mississauga that are supposedly "community" hospitals but still gets residents, students, etc. 

- what fellowship are you talking about? You could have the most prestigious fellowship but if there isn't a need at that hospital probably they won't hire you lol.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:30 AM, shikimate said:

I think your question is too vague, there are too many unknown variables to answer your question:

- what specialty? some academic center departments are very short staffed. If they are desperate for people there's good chance they'll hire you without fellowship.

- what is an "academic center"? Like do you mean the main teaching hospital of a university like Toronto General Hospital? What about hospital in like Brampton or Mississauga that are supposedly "community" hospitals but still gets residents, students, etc. 

- what fellowship are you talking about? You could have the most prestigious fellowship but if there isn't a need at that hospital probably they won't hire you lol.

anesthesia, I'm from Quebec, so most hospitals in cities require a fellowship if you want to work there after graduation, but I don't know how it works for people with experience

On 4/2/2022 at 10:39 PM, cotecc said:

anesthesia, I'm from Quebec, so most hospitals in cities require a fellowship if you want to work there after graduation, but I don't know how it works for people with experience

I see, I only know of a couple anesthesia in ON. They started practice in semi-academic hospitals around Toronto area without any fellowship (aka it's a busy hospital with residents and medical students but it's not the main teaching hospital of UofT).

On 4/2/2022 at 9:39 PM, cotecc said:

Talking to friends in anesthesia, my understanding is that the market is pretty saturated in big cities so I doubt they would make an exception, especially if they have plenty of fresh recruits in their programs who are willing to do one.