Premed 101 Forums

who's reapplying to Ottawa for second time

Guest Highway2MD

For the Graduate subcommittee review ONLY!!!

interviews are granted only based on your proof of productivity not your residential status or any other status for that matter. An additional year will I am sure do wonders for conference presentations, awards, department presentations, publications, teaching portfolio, etc.

You could have also been black balled by your supervisor if and only if they mentioned that you would not be able to complete your graduate degree in a sufficent manner. This is in regards to the supplementary letter, not in regards to the form that you might have asked him to fill out in the eariler stages of the application.

Keep asking questions,

g22g

g22g - That's right. I'd forgotten the specifics of process since last year and mixed up my school's criteria. Thanks for clarifying.

An amendment to your post - according to the schools website - the autobiographical sketch and original reference letters are also considered by the committee along with research producitivity.

As for your suggestions (which I assume were for me?), I was actually finished my program as of last fall, so that wasn't an issue. But I may have a first author paper finished by the time I (if) I get to the grad review again, so that may help.

thanks for your helpful moderatin'

I applied last year to U Ottawa, but I didn't get invited for interview. I'm definitely applying this year. Last year, I made the WGPA cut-off, but they told me that my application was not competitive enough! Good luck eveyone.

Hydes

g22g,

I transferred from a Masters to PhD this April. I am in my 3rd year of my graduate program, and will be done this year. In reading the grad review policy, I noticed that I may not be eligible to apply, and am hoping you can please clarify. In point 4 (UO, Omsas), it states that I need to have a grade of 85 or more in the PhD program. I have to take 5 half credits at my school, and took the first 3 as a MSc student. The next part credit is in progress, and is P/F, and the other half I am taking from Jan-April (with a grade). Though I have over 85 in all 3 credits before the transfer, because it is before the transfer, does that mean they will not look at them (at my school they do count towards my PhD degree)? Also, will they not look at the final grade that I receive in April if need be? This seems strange if true, as I will be at a disadvantage, purely based on the course I chose to take, and when it was offered (eg, if it was offered this summer, all would be good). Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks so much!

jmd

Last year I wasn't sure if my grades (which stradled UofA's switch from a 9 point to a 4 point scale) met the A (85%) cutoff. Ottawa said they couldn't do individual grade analyses. So I applied anyway and did get accepted into the grad pool...

The point of that story is that although I don't have an aswer to your question, I'd suggest that you apply regardless and hope that they accept what you've got.

Thanks jaegwon,

I think you are right...it is worth a try. Afterall, I was eligible for the pool last year, it would be odd if I didn't make it this year, simply due to a degree switch. The course grades are still the same! I sure hope that is okay!

Thanks again

Jen

Dear Jaegwon,

Thanks for your input. Allow me to clarify our discussion. By being granted an invitation to provide a productivity packet you have already passed the 3 letters, and the ABS (as well as the two GPA threshold).

First author publication in peer reviewed journal is really good. Congrats!

g22g

Guest rBurgundy

I'm confused by graduate admission requirements. From what the guidelines state, I gathered that you can only apply as a graduate student once (i.e., the last year of your masters/Phd). After that, you would not be able to apply as a graduate student again. Is that correct?

The current rule is you can apply to the graduate review committee again but they will only have considered your productivity one year past your graduation. This is of course if you didn't somehow jump into another acadmeic program and you are in your first year of that. (aka MS to PHD).

Good luck,

g22g

Archived