Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Med Waitlist Party 2022

Not a party I was hoping to attend this month but glad we can all support each other! 

I was wondering if anyone knows whether accepting a masters offer at an Ontario school for this semester, (technically it starts tomorrow but my supervisor is aware I would be accepting late or not at all) would automatically remove me from the waitlist? I know you will not get an offer after accepting another Ontario med school offer, but I applied to my masters through OUAC which is the same company as OMSAS so im worried that if I accept the masters ill be removed from the waitlist. Ideally, I would like to start my masters now, then withdraw in the first month if I get a Mac offer. It is a course-based masters so withdrawing would not negatively impact my supervisor. 

I already emailed admissions about this but haven't gotten a response so I thought I'd post here and see if any of you wonderful people could help me out! :) 

16 minutes ago, Rowen said:

Got accepted from the waitlist into the Waterloo campus at 12:37pm. Waitlist is moving, good luck y'all!

Congratulations!! Just wondering, where was Waterloo in your campus ranking and what was your time stamp for the initial waitlist email on May 10th? Just tryna figure out if there is any correlation to be made :)

I ranked Waterloo second! But from my understanding is don't think your campus ranking is considered when you're on the waitlist and you just get whatever spot is available. My initial waitlist email time was 8:14AM. From the people that I've talked to it doesn't seem like there's too much correlation unfortunately.

At least in the past, your ranking on application didn't matter for the wait-list. As spots become available they move down the wait-list with offers, regardless of where the spot is. I was accepted to Hamilton off the wait-list because that's where the spot was when they got to me on the list. It's not a perfect system, as I ended up getting my first choice campus, whereas some people who were accepted outright were assigned to their second choice campus. :mellow:

11 minutes ago, Emmzy said:

Does anyone know if the acceptance off the WL (after the first 2 weeks) is all at once, or if it will be on a sort of rolling basis? Like, if people have heard today is there still a chance to hear back later this week?

It’s on a rolling basis, so as soon as spots become available the emails get sent out