Premed 101 Forums

Is it professional to answer the challenge essay (question 2) with my experiences in an abusive relationship?

I will be applying to UoA as an OOP this upcoming cycle. I was having some trouble with the challenge prompt (Essay 2). I think a strong essay needs to one that is personal and informs who you are as an individual. With that said, I was wondering if it is wise (professional?) to talk about my experiences overcoming an abusive relationship with my former partner of 5 years. I wouldn't focus on why the relationship was abusive, but the steps I took to move on and better myself and how I applied what I learned as a mentor at peer discussion groups that I hosted at my university. Would this be too risky of an idea to write about?

Alternatively, these are also possible answers that I came up (but they seem cookie cutter?):

1. Baby cousin was born deaf (Congenital meningitis). Challenges with learning ASL myself and helping inform his development.

2. Learning my own language/culture as a 22 year old that was never exposed to it in the past.

Your thoughts are fine and you will be showing your development and growth. Having said this, it would also fit No. 3. Your other potential answers certainly are not cookie cutter!

I would be delighted to read/edit/comment upon your work product. :P And, if you need chop-chop to cut the characters while keeping all important thoughts, I can help. Don't be stressed, life is constantly about overcoming one challenge after another, which will continue for our lifetimes.

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, StressedPremeder said:

I will be applying to UoA as an OOP this upcoming cycle. I was having some trouble with the challenge prompt (Essay 2). I think a strong essay needs to one that is personal and informs who you are as an individual. With that said, I was wondering if it is wise (professional?) to talk about my experiences overcoming an abusive relationship with my former partner of 5 years. I wouldn't focus on why the relationship was abusive, but the steps I took to move on and better myself and how I applied what I learned as a mentor at peer discussion groups that I hosted at my university. Would this be too risky of an idea to write about?

Alternatively, these are also possible answers that I came up (but they seem cookie cutter?):

1. Baby cousin was born deaf (Congenital meningitis). Challenges with learning ASL myself and helping inform his development.

2. Learning my own language/culture as a 22 year old that was never exposed to it in the past.

Firstly I'm so sorry for what you've gone through and I wish you good fortune in the future. 

That said, it can be risky to talk about situations like abusive relationships because the reality is... some people are simply not as receptive to this compared to other things. It's akin to speaking of conquering mental health, which by all accounts is important and a triumph, but there's a huge stigma that exists in society against it. 

Your first example though is very interesting in my view. 

I'm sure there are many colleagues that may disagree with me and by all means it's ultimately your decision. I would caution against taking such risks. 

- G 

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't talk about an abusive relationship. As much as you wish the reviewers to be unbiased and free of stigma, we can't be sure of that. Abusive relationships are sensitive areas, and usually involve complexities that someone without knowing you personally would have a difficult time truly understanding the experience. I'm really sorry you went through this, but speaking about your experience with your baby cousin would be meaningful and safe (from stigma). 

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, StressedPremeder said:

I like 1. best, i think overcoming an abusive relationship is a very interesting idea, but your alternatives are not cookie cutter at all, they are so interesting. My own answer would have been like, 1. overcoming a bad boss in my first job, now that's cookie cutter.