Premed 101 Forums

Should I give up on med school dream?

Hi everyone,

I am writing because I feel very lost. I still want to become a physician but it seems like I don’t qualify for any schools anymore.

I was studying the MCAT this summer to apply for Queens Med, but it turns out they recently changed their 2-year wGPA to a cGPA.

My stats:

First degree (4 years): 2.3 GPA, graduated 2017 (low gpa due to abusive relationship but I don’t want to mention this because I will be asked why I stayed for four years and I don’t have a good reason for that)

Second degree (4 years): 3.7 GPA, graduated 2021 (does not qualify for Western’s wGPA because it’s full time but not 5 courses per term)

-2 pubs

-900hours in emergency department as a nurse

-100hours worked with vulnerable population (not rural)

-leadership roles for university health related clubs, community organizations, and provincial organizations

-no scholarships or awards (i never applied)

I am wondering whether there are any suggestions for possible Canadian/abroad med schools that I can look into? As well, should I endeavour trying a third degree?

Is it worthwhile switching from a nursing career into MD? That's a question that's being increasingly asked.

Many RN are doing 1-2 year NP degree and doing the work of FMD getting paid 150K salary with 1/2 to 1/3 of patient load.

ER docs are increasingly burning out en mass. 

Some travelling nurses in US are offered up to $100/hr for weekend shifts.

I mean if your dream is to become a dermatologist or interventional cardiologist, probably would be worth it.  

On 8/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, ornge said:

Hi everyone,

I am writing because I feel very lost. I still want to become a physician but it seems like I don’t qualify for any schools anymore.

I was studying the MCAT this summer to apply for Queens Med, but it turns out they recently changed their 2-year wGPA to a cGPA.

My stats:

First degree (4 years): 2.3 GPA, graduated 2017 (low gpa due to abusive relationship but I don’t want to mention this because I will be asked why I stayed for four years and I don’t have a good reason for that)

Second degree (4 years): 3.7 GPA, graduated 2021 (does not qualify for Western’s wGPA because it’s full time but not 5 courses per term)

-2 pubs

-900hours in emergency department as a nurse

-100hours worked with vulnerable population (not rural)

-leadership roles for university health related clubs, community organizations, and provincial organizations

I am wondering whether there are any suggestions for possible Canadian/abroad med schools that I can look into? As well, should I endeavour trying a third degree?

First off, I just want to empathize with you. I know how you’re feeling and it’s  a hard place to be in, as someone who personally took a bit of a longer road before getting accepted into medicine myself. You’re not alone and it’s totally legit and valid to feel lost right now.

secondly, I think you should pat yourself on the back. It’s quite commendable and remarkable, the upward trend that you’re showing academically. This, coupled with your EC experience, shows a lot of drive and motivation which is fantastic imo for an application.

unfortunately I think the critique I would give is that academically, you’re just barely in the ballpark. This is definitely where there’s room for improvement, as generally a gpa of ~3.8 and up is deemed competitive. Sure, people get in with lower gpas, but they’re the exception not the norm.

im not sure a 3rd undergrad degree is the best way forward, as the question id be asking is why did you “only” get a 3.7 the 2nd time around? What makes you believe you can do better the 3rd time? It may be a waste of resources (time and money); although if that’s not an issue and you feel you can get a 3.8 or higher, then it could be a solution.

3rd degree or not, to maximize your chances, I would still focus on academics. There are schools which consider supplemental undergraduate coursework taken outside your degree when calculating your gpa. There are schools which give your academic rank a boost if you’ve completed a Master’s degree. So look into these options, see what’s feasible for your personal circumstances, and try to cast as wide a net as possible (ie choose the path forward which will make you competitive at the most schools, instead of just focusing in on requirements for one school).

On 8/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, ornge said:

I just want to point out, in order to stress the importance of academic excellence in this process: Most of the awards/scholarships I’ve received for academics, I didn’t apply for either. I was simply told after the fact, “you have been awarded the xyz award for having x grade in course z,” or “you have been granted the xyz scholarship by the faculty for having such and such gpa” etc. without ever applying for it. Not trying to toot my own horn (there are definitely many ppl with a higher gpa and more awards than myself); just trying to stress the importance of academic excellence in this process, and how secondary benefits (ie awards/scholarships) may follow - even if you don’t apply for them - when you excel academically.

Good luck - you’ve come a long way, and you seem very close to your goal. Keep at it! You can do it!

I certainly wouldn't undersell your experience, but I agree with the sentiment that a 3rd degree is questionable... even with the 2nd degree you are still average to below average in GPA and there's no proof you can do better. I think you would be a good candidate for NOSM though given your potential rural background and experience. 

- G