Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

this will be my second year applying for UBC MOT program. I got to the interview process and sadly didn’t get in. Fingers crossed for this year. 

My gpa is 89%, 4.03 on 4.33 scale and 3.87 on a 4.0 scale. I had a 4th quartile score on the CASPer test last year and some experience with an OT. All my references were highly positive. 

Hoping the new CASPer test goes just as well this year, and now I’ve worked as a rehab assistant with OTs and OT clients for over 600 hours so I’m hoping this is my year.

Hello 2023 Applicants!

I was accepted into PT and OT schools across Canada last cycle and wanted to let you all know that although the process is daunting, you can also get accepted into your dream programs!

Below are my acceptances and I have started consulting recently so please feel free to reach out if you would like equitable and honest guidance or support from someone with recent lived experience. I would love to help with all aspects of the application process including supplemental applications, CASPer, CAP, and MMI/panel interviews!

Applied: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Accepted: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Waitlisted:
Rejected: 
s-GPA: 3.87

Good luck everyone, you got this:)

I applied UofA OT last year and got rejected. It might be because of my bad CASPER score (1st quartile) and my poor English? I am a permanent resident in Canada and my degree was completed from outside of Canada, so I had to submit my Duolingo English test score as well. To make it worse, I have never worked or volunteered in the health sector. 

According to uofa my gpa was 3.7 and I am thinking of not pursuing this dream. I wasn't even waitlisted and it made me think the reason I didn't even get a spot is due to the various factors mentioned above, not just my gpa.  So could you please give me your honest advice if it will be even worth applying for the OT program at uofa this year? I feel, to reapply, I first need to upgrade my gpa by taking extra courses, do better on CASPER test, and get a better score on English? It's uncertain that how uofa translated my international gpa (4.5 basis) to their 4.0 gpa that not sure taking a few courses would make a big difference anyway. I'm in my 40s and have young kids to look after.

Being an OT would be my ideal second career, but I'm afraid my application won't be as strong as yours. 

Wish you all the best!

On 10/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, JustmydreamOT said:

I applied UofA OT last year and got rejected. It might be because of my bad CASPER score (1st quartile) and my poor English? I am a permanent resident in Canada and my degree was completed from outside of Canada, so I had to submit my Duolingo English test score as well. To make it worse, I have never worked or volunteered in the health sector. 

According to uofa my gpa was 3.7 and I am thinking of not pursuing this dream. I wasn't even waitlisted and it made me think the reason I didn't even get a spot is due to the various factors mentioned above, not just my gpa.  So could you please give me your honest advice if it will be even worth applying for the OT program at uofa this year? I feel, to reapply, I first need to upgrade my gpa by taking extra courses, do better on CASPER test, and get a better score on English? It's uncertain that how uofa translated my international gpa (4.5 basis) to their 4.0 gpa that not sure taking a few courses would make a big difference anyway. I'm in my 40s and have young kids to look after.

Being an OT would be my ideal second career, but I'm afraid my application won't be as strong as yours. 

Wish you all the best!

Where did you finish your undergrad? It seems to me that your English writing skills are great! Have you completed any of the required pre-requisite courses?  The admission average this year at U of A OT program was 3.7. I highly suggest to boost up your average and maybe improve any work or volunteer experiences related to OT.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:58 PM, ot__W0W said:

Where did you finish your undergrad? It seems to me that your English writing skills are great! Have you completed any of the required pre-requisite courses?  The admission average this year at U of A OT program was 3.7. I highly suggest to boost up your average and maybe improve any work or volunteer experiences related to OT.

Hi! I'm just wondering how you found out that last years admission average for UofA OT was 3.7? I plan on applying this year and I'm just curious on what my chances are!

Thanks

On 10/8/2022 at 8:58 PM, ot__W0W said:

Thank you for your encouragement! My previous degree, BCom, was acquired in Asia. I completed the pre-requite courses, Human Anatomy and Statistics, in 2021 and got over 95% on both. The admissions committee told me that the first round cut off GPA was around 3.8 for the 2021/22 and the trends seem to slightly go up each year. So I am hesitating if I should apply or not. At this point, it seems there isn't enough time left for me to take extra courses to boost my GPA as the admissions start in November.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, HaadaOT said:

Hi! I'm just wondering how you found out that last years admission average for UofA OT was 3.7? I plan on applying this year and I'm just curious on what my chances are!

Thanks

I got into the program this year and one of the professors had said so :)

I suggest maintaining a GPA around 3.7-3.8. That is competitive enough to get into the program! Good luck

On 10/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, JustmydreamOT said:

Thank you for your encouragement! My previous degree, BCom, was acquired in Asia. I completed the pre-requite courses, Human Anatomy and Statistics, in 2021 and got over 95% on both. The admissions committee told me that the first round cut off GPA was around 3.8 for the 2021/22 and the trends seem to slightly go up each year. So I am hesitating if I should apply or not. At this point, it seems there isn't enough time left for me to take extra courses to boost my GPA as the admissions start in November.

DO NOT hesitate and apply! I know someone in my program who had been waitlisted 6x before they got accepted! If you truly think it is something that you really want to pursue, keep on applying. We've had several students in the program that are over 40 years old. Look at ways on how can you make your application stand out. Pull some of your personal experiences as a mother or someone who moved to Canada to pursue a career that will allow them to thrive. If you feel like you didn't do well on Casper last application cycle, make a bit more of preparations and do some practice casper questions. Good luck!

On 10/1/2022 at 6:13 PM, pk08 said:

Hello 2023 Applicants!

I was accepted into PT and OT schools across Canada last cycle and wanted to let you all know that although the process is daunting, you can also get accepted into your dream programs!

Below are my acceptances and I have started consulting recently so please feel free to reach out if you would like equitable and honest guidance or support from someone with recent lived experience. I would love to help with all aspects of the application process including supplemental applications, CASPer, CAP, and MMI/panel interviews!

Applied: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Accepted: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Waitlisted:
Rejected: 
s-GPA: 3.87

Good luck everyone, you got this:)

Hi! I am in the midst of applying to schools. I had a question regarding the UBC supplemental application portion- is there certain learning experiences you highlighted? Not sure how to go about that question, or exactly what experience I plan to tailor it to! I would appreciate any feedback!

Hey guys! 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I applied last cycle and was waitlisted at UofA but never made it off of the waitlist :(. I am applying to a few more schools this year, and am applying to western for the first time! I have already signed up for the CASPER, but noticed that I have to receive a specific code apparently from the Ontario site? My test is in early January so I know I have time to complete the application, and I have already submitted to CASPER that I would like my results sent to Western. Is there anything else I am supposed to do? Thank you so much! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! First time applicant here for OT. I have been looking at past threads and I see that people usually put their hours spent for their extracurriculars (e.g. 300 hours working with...). Should hours worked in a position or with certain populations be mentioned in my resume or written submissions for the schools that require any of those? Would that be an asset? Or does reporting hours only apply to PT applicants (as most of the people I've seen reporting their hours applied to PT programs)? Thank you! :)

On 10/17/2022 at 4:50 PM, OThopeful23 said:

Hi, I just started applying to OT schools. I noticed that UBC OT changed the section regarding the interview process. I was under the impression it was an MMI; however, now it just says virtual interview. Does anyone know whether it is still an MMI?

Thank you 

I applied last year and it was a panel virtual interview. You have 3 people asking you about 12 questions. From all the peopl I know who have been in the program have always said it is panel for UBC MOT. 

Hi Everyone! 

I had a quick question, if anyone has some insight let me know! So, I am applying to the UofA OT program this year. I took HLSC 120 (anatomy prerequisite) previously and its one of the last 20 courses i took for my degree. Even though i am a business major, this course fit into my non-business electives section as part of my degree requirements. Although this is a 100 level course, will the grade count towards my GPA for my application as it was one of the last 20 courses i took and fits into my degree requirements? Let me know what you think! 
Thanks!

Hi there. I'm applying to the 4 graduate programs in Ontario through the OUAC website. This is my first year applying. I previously studied as an OTA so I have over 1000 hours of internships and I spent a winter volunteering as well. I also have really great references from OTs I've studied and volunteered under. My current GPA is 3.89/4.3 or 3.62/4.0, although my current semester is going really well so I should be able to pull this up. Additionally, english is my first language. I'm hoping to meet up with in TO, or zoom call with people that have successfully gotten into these programs or just others that are applying to ask questions and figure out all the application stuff since I don't know anyone that has ever applied to a graduate program. 

On 11/2/2022 at 4:18 PM, HaadaOT said:

Hi Everyone! 

I had a quick question, if anyone has some insight let me know! So, I am applying to the UofA OT program this year. I took HLSC 120 (anatomy prerequisite) previously and its one of the last 20 courses i took for my degree. Even though i am a business major, this course fit into my non-business electives section as part of my degree requirements. Although this is a 100 level course, will the grade count towards my GPA for my application as it was one of the last 20 courses i took and fits into my degree requirements? Let me know what you think! 
Thanks!

Hey, first year OT student at western here! I applied last year to uofa as well and yes any course within your last 20 will count equally towards your GPA calculation unless you took it as pass/fail, or it was take in winter 2020

On 11/4/2022 at 7:35 AM, PT_Ben said:

Hi all! I'm looking to see if someone could help me with a question. I'm wondering if the pre-requisite grades are weighted in the application (Specifically UofT and UBC) for PT school. Or any mark above the 70% threshold is seen as sufficient in the schools eyes. 

UBC student here. If I remember correctly, You need a minimum 70% in all of them, but there is a cluster of pre-reqs that are weighted separately. 

From UBC's admission page: "The admissions GPA is calculated using a combination of the most recent university senior-level courses (300 or above) up to 30 credits, and the following prerequisites: anatomy, physiology, statistics, and psychology."

Hope that helps.

Hi everyone! I have another quick question about the UofA application for OT. In the Scholarships and Awards section, do I have to list each award I received in the past and during my undergraduate degree? Moreover, for funding start and end date, what should I write since the money i received was just given to me as a whole. Let me know if you have any insight!

Thanks! :)

On threads like this from recent years it seemed like the school that the least amount of people said they applied to was McGill. That surprised me with it being one of Canada's top schools in general and it being in one of Canada's biggest cities.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it the French language requirement? The extra year for students who aren't already in the BSc Rehabilitation Science at McGill? The fact that they just consider cGPA and not sGPA, and don't add any courses to the gpa that were taken outside of undergrad? Maybe a combination of these factors, or other ones?

On 9/29/2022 at 9:05 PM, MOT2022hopeful said:

Hi everyone,

this will be my second year applying for UBC MOT program. I got to the interview process and sadly didn’t get in. Fingers crossed for this year. 

My gpa is 89%, 4.03 on 4.33 scale and 3.87 on a 4.0 scale. I had a 4th quartile score on the CASPer test last year and some experience with an OT. All my references were highly positive. 

Hoping the new CASPer test goes just as well this year, and now I’ve worked as a rehab assistant with OTs and OT clients for over 600 hours so I’m hoping this is my year.

Hi! Are there any resources you recommend to practice with? Also wondering, what is your words per minute? 
Best of luck,

fellow studier