Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

On 1/22/2023 at 7:57 PM, ResilientPT said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know where to put their referees' contact information for Alberta's OT? I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you in advance

I believe when you start your application (before paying for it and submitting it) there is a references section and you have to write their name, occupation, and email in that part. Once you pay for and submit the application your references get an email from UofA asking them for s reference on your behalf. But you have to submit the application before they can access the reference forms

This may be a bit unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone may have some knowledge about upgrading sub-gpa? I currently have a 3.81 sub-gpa and was hoping to take 2 courses to upgrade my sub-gpa in the fall if I dont get in this cycle (only applying to mac). As a york student, I was made aware by my guidence (at York) that typically when you graduate and come back and take courses through a non-degree status, it does not change your GPA. I've definitely read about some people upgrading their sub-gpa though in other forums like **DELETED** though, and even on this site. Can someone please ease my mind because my school's guidence is making me nervous because it scares me into feeling like i'll never be able to change my sub-gpa after graduating. 

Any info would really help :)

10 hours ago, 1896528 said:

there is a transcript section in ORPAS. If you went to Ontario universities you will need to request your transcript through ORPAS during your application. 

I requested my transcript on ORPAS when I sent in my application yes! Does this mean i'll have to request the transcript from my university (York) directly as well, and then send that to ORPAS or am I good with having just requested it during the application process? If it helps, I just graduated last month!

Applied + (PT): UBC
Accepted: - 
Waitlisted: - 
Rejected: - 
GPA: 9.0 (A+ in all 300-400 Level Classes and All Prerequisite Classes) 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

- Essays/supplementary application felt quite strong.  

- References I believe were quite strong 

- >200hrs over two facilities for volunteer hours

- Casper Test - 1st Quartile - This one shocked me quite a bit.  I feel I might have not  taken it seriously enough or underestimated the challenges of typing out detailed thoughts in such a short time frame.  I know info on the evaluation of Casper tests is tight but does anyone know if they search for buzzwords in the evaluation process? 

Hopefully my strong GPA and Supplementary application will outweigh my poor Casper result.  I have been told that UBC looks at applicants holistically (hopefully rather than using Casper as a cutoff).  We'll see though! Will post any progress that may be useful to others here! Good luck to everyone! 

Beginning to prepare for interviews well before invitations are sent.  

4 hours ago, sam9983 said:

I requested my transcript on ORPAS when I sent in my application yes! Does this mean i'll have to request the transcript from my university (York) directly as well, and then send that to ORPAS or am I good with having just requested it during the application process? If it helps, I just graduated last month!

You should be good by just requesting on ORPAS! I’m from Ontario university as well and requested through ORPAS when I submitted, it shows on ORPAS that my transcript has been received, does it also show for you?

12 hours ago, PT23-2B said:

Applied + (PT): UBC
Accepted: - 
Waitlisted: - 
Rejected: - 
GPA: 9.0 (A+ in all 300-400 Level Classes and All Prerequisite Classes) 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

- Essays/supplementary application felt quite strong.  

- References I believe were quite strong 

- >200hrs over two facilities for volunteer hours

- Casper Test - 1st Quartile - This one shocked me quite a bit.  I feel I might have not  taken it seriously enough or underestimated the challenges of typing out detailed thoughts in such a short time frame.  I know info on the evaluation of Casper tests is tight but does anyone know if they search for buzzwords in the evaluation process? 

Hopefully my strong GPA and Supplementary application will outweigh my poor Casper result.  I have been told that UBC looks at applicants holistically (hopefully rather than using Casper as a cutoff).  We'll see though! Will post any progress that may be useful to others here! Good luck to everyone! 

Beginning to prepare for interviews well before invitations are sent.  

Wow! Your application looks very strong! Im not sure about PT but I have heard for OT that a lot of universities look at your GPA first and then other materials in your application. CASPer is super stressful and I myself just wrote it a couple weeks ago, but I would try to not stress now that its already done. I hope you get into the program! :)

4 minutes ago, walkinguphill said:

Hi! I applied to Occupational Therapy at UManitoba, UofT, Western, Queens, and UBC! Hoping one works out :) Appreciate this forum a lot. 

I am wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to hear back from casper about your quartile. I completed it on January 10th, 2023! Thank you! 

Take care!

Hi! It takes 2 weeks for Altus Suite to send results to your schools, and 4 weeks for them to send them to you. I also did it on January 10th and my results have already been sent to the schools I applied to.

Applied to (PT): UBC, UaA, Mac, Western, Queens, UofT, Dal, Brighton (UK), Worcester (UK), Birmingham(UK)
Accepted: Brighton 
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: 

STATS: 

sGPA - 4.31 / 4.33 or 3.96 / 4.0

CASPer - 3 quartile :wacko:

PT - EXPERIENCES:

200+ hours Kids Physio Group

100 hours as AT assistant with junior lacrosse team 

60+hours with stroke rehab (community rec centre)

50 hours with Lions Gate Cardiac Rehab

NON - PT EXPERIENCES

3500 hours as clinical research assistant (hematology research program)

200+ hours as behavioural interventionist (neurodiverse child)

60 + hours kinesiology student council 

50 hours on executive committee board of local running club

13 hours ago, TCup007 said:

Applied to (PT): UBC, UaA, Mac, Western, Queens, UofT, Dal, Brighton (UK), Worcester (UK), Birmingham(UK)
Accepted: Brighton 
Waitlisted: 
Rejected: 

STATS: 

sGPA - 4.31 / 4.33 or 3.96 / 4.0

CASPer - 3 quartile :wacko:

PT - EXPERIENCES:

200+ hours Kids Physio Group

100 hours as AT assistant with junior lacrosse team 

60+hours with stroke rehab (community rec centre)

50 hours with Lions Gate Cardiac Rehab

NON - PT EXPERIENCES

3500 hours as clinical research assistant (hematology research program)

200+ hours as behavioural interventionist (neurodiverse child)

60 + hours kinesiology student council 

50 hours on executive committee board of local running club

if you don't mind me asking. what brought you to apply to the U.K?

8 minutes ago, PT.marco said:

if you don't mind me asking. what brought you to apply to the U.K?

Backup plan. Admission to Canadian PT schools is super super wack... There is 0 guarantee that I will get anywhere in Canada. I am not interested in reapplying if it does not workout. I found the whole process very stressful and time consuming. I know few PTs that went to the UK and they loved it.  I understand that UK is more expensive, although cheaper than Australia. However, I ma eager to start my training, hence why I applied :)

10 minutes ago, TCup007 said:

Backup plan. Admission to Canadian PT schools is super super wack... There is 0 guarantee that I will get anywhere in Canada. I am not interested in reapplying if it does not workout. I found the whole process very stressful and time consuming. I know few PTs that went to the UK and they loved it.  I understand that UK is more expensive, although cheaper than Australia. However, I ma eager to start my training, hence why I applied :)

Oh okay. That's awesome! With your stats though I think you have an amazing shot. I'd be very surprised if you don't get an offer. Nevertheless, always better safe than sorry. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, PT.marco said:

Oh okay. That's awesome! With your stats though I think you have an amazing shot. I'd be very surprised if you don't get an offer. Nevertheless, always better safe than sorry. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, PT.marco said:

Thanks! Good luck to you too :)

2 hours ago, 1896528 said:

curious for people haven't graduated, will we get a conditional offer asking us to maintain a certain gpa? im so dead and do not want to study anymore 

I think it depends on the University, I think for UofA OT, if you haven't graduated yet, your Winter semester grades will not be counted in your GPA calculation for OT. But if someone doesn't get in this year, then for the next year application they will count your Winter grades as long as you completed your degree.

1 hour ago, HaadaOT said:

I think it depends on the University, I think for UofA OT, if you haven't graduated yet, your Winter semester grades will not be counted in your GPA calculation for OT. But if someone doesn't get in this year, then for the next year application they will count your Winter grades as long as you completed your degree.

thanks for the info! really hope I get in this year so I can relax for the rest of the term lol

Hi everyone! For those applying to UofA OT and already completed their CASPer and had the results sent out to the school already. Is one of your slots for department check still "Incomplete"? I know our casper scores are supposed to fill one of the 4 slots but shouldn't it be Pending then?