Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

11 minutes ago, HaadaOT said:

Where did you apply? And for what program? Some programs don't weight CASPer as heavily as others!

Thank you for saying that! I’m international student so there are limited program I can apply to. Only applied to McMaster and western for both OT and PT. I’m just hoping for western to weight Casper less, since I’m going with the international student direct stream and I think the admission process is a bit different 

7 minutes ago, 1896528 said:

Thank you for saying that! I’m international student so there are limited program I can apply to. Only applied to McMaster and western for both OT and PT. I’m just hoping for western to weight Casper less, since I’m going with the international student direct stream and I think the admission process is a bit different 

Oh that makes sense, I know for OT some universities take a holistic approach to the admissions process. So if you have a competitive GPA then definitely don't lose hope. I believe UofA OT also has some spots reserved for international students btw! 

I just got back my Casper and scored in the second quartile :(. Quite disappointed as I thought I could get into the third. Is there a chance I can still get in? I applied to UofA (OT), Western (PT & OT), and UofT (PT & OT) which all looks at Casper as well as Queens (OT) and McMaster (PT & OT) which doesn’t.

For McMaster’s Kira test, how do I set myself up for success? What type of questions do they ask and what is the format? How do I score well? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 

39 minutes ago, RehabG said:

I just got back my Casper and scored in the second quartile :(. Quite disappointed as I thought I could get into the third. Is there a chance I can still get in? I applied to UofA (OT), Western (PT & OT), and UofT (PT & OT) which all looks at Casper as well as Queens (OT) and McMaster (PT & OT) which doesn’t.

For McMaster’s Kira test, how do I set myself up for success? What type of questions do they ask and what is the format? How do I score well? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 

My friend got into UBC PT with 2nd percentile last year :) ! 
what are your stats/ work experience !! 

in my sub-GPA calculation they included this acting course. When they say how "activity courses" are not included in the sub-gpa, does that not include this acting course? Or am I thinking of something else? Because if it's included in my sub-gpa calculation i'm pretty sure it does then, no?

This is my first time applying to Ontario Schools and my home university is on a 4.0 scale and when I calculated my sub gpa ( my University has it's own caculator) it is so different than what shows on orpas. I know different schools have different scales but I didn’t realize how different it could be, such a sad day, really lost hope now on getting in this year.

1 hour ago, PT2000 said:

yes, but i also went to school in the US so it calculated it not according to my grading scale :( anyone else have any issues with this or dealt with this before?

If you google ORPAS gpa scale you might be able to find a conversion table! They are on the 4.0 scale but gpa is slightly different. At my university an A is usually a 4.0, but for ORPAS it’s 3.9. ORPAS will take everyone’s transcripts and calculate it based off of their scale that they use! I hope that helps a bit. 

11 hours ago, Boukenbc said:

This is my first time applying to Ontario Schools and my home university is on a 4.0 scale and when I calculated my sub gpa ( my University has it's own caculator) it is so different than what shows on orpas. I know different schools have different scales but I didn’t realize how different it could be, such a sad day, really lost hope now on getting in this year.

Hey there, I understand your situation really well. I applied last year and was surprised by my sub GPA too. But they had actually made mistakes so when I contacted them through SAM they corrected it to an extent. So if you feel like they may have done something wrong don't hesitate to inform them.

17 minutes ago, PTtbd said:

Hey there, I understand your situation really well. I applied last year and was surprised by my sub GPA too. But they had actually made mistakes so when I contacted them through SAM they corrected it to an extent. So if you feel like they may have done something wrong don't hesitate to inform them.

I just did, apparently even though I graduated last year they took the average of my entire second year not just my winter semester which tanked it. And seriously I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message it’s very kind of you :)

1 hour ago, Boukenbc said:

I just did, apparently even though I graduated last year they took the average of my entire second year not just my winter semester which tanked it. And seriously I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message it’s very kind of you :)

Unfortunately I believe they will have to use the entire year average. I'm on the same boat as you. I checked ORPAS again in more detail and this is what was written: 

"Where course grades and/or lengths must be extracted from a grouping/duration to make up the 20 course grades and/or lengths required, we will use the average of the next grouping/duration of ORPAS GPA values. We do not separate semesters, so if an average must be used, it is from the fall and winter durations combined, as this is considered an academic year."

Applied (All PT): McMaster, UofT, Western, Queens, Ottawa
Accepted: n/a
Waitlisted: n/a 
Rejected: n/a

Casper: 2nd Q 
GPA: cGPA: 3.90  sGPA: 3.99 

1200 hours coaching recreation and pre competitive sport to children 3-18, 500h as a hospital screener/covid tester, 500h as a resident care aid working with individuals with various neuro and psychiatric ailments (dementia, parkinson's, aphasia, alzheimer's, etc) 50h at a stroke and heart attack research lab, 70h hospital volunteer. Other experiences were elections ontario work and co president of a university club. 

References were okay I believe and my written responses felt strong. Really unsure of my application now with a 2nd q Casper...

3 minutes ago, PT.marco said:

Applied (All PT): McMaster, UofT, Western, Queens, Ottawa

Casper: 2nd Q 
GPA: cGPA: 3.90  sGPA: 3.99 

1200 hours coaching recreation and pre competitive sport to children 3-18, 500h as a hospital screener/covid tester, 500h as a resident care aid working with individuals with various neuro and psychiatric ailments (dementia, parkinson's, aphasia, alzheimer's, etc) 50h at a stroke and heart attack research lab, 70h hospital volunteer. Other experiences were elections ontario work and co president of a university club. 

References were okay I believe and my written responses felt strong. Really unsure of my application now with a 2nd q Casper...

This is incredible! Your sGPA and work experiences would definitely offset the CASPER- I wouldn't even sweat it.  I'm sending my early congratulations your way already! :) 

Applied (All PT): UBC, McMaster, UofT, Western

Casper: 4th quartile
sGPA: 3.94 

1500 hours working as a physiotherapist assistant (current job) at a large multidisciplinary clinic. 1500 hours working as a recreational therapist aide at a long term care facility working with individuals who have advanced cognitive ailments. 100 hours working on my undergrad thesis (current) at the children's hospital developing motor development interventions for children with congenital heart disease. 100 hours being a youth leader for youth across Canada (holding seminars and webinars on different topics eg. what to expect in university). 30 hours as a program facilitator for LGBTQ+ seniors (facilitated activities like exercise, table tennis, yoga, etc.). 100 hours creating my own charitable organization which raised money and gained sponsorships for families struggling financially at the beginning of COVID-19. 

My references I think are great as they are my thesis supervisor (Med School Professor and Lead Scientist) and a physiotherapist/clinic director from my work. My written responses I feel were strong.