Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

Hello 2023 Applicants!

I was accepted into PT and OT schools across Canada last cycle and wanted to offer mentorship to help you prep for your panel and MMI interviews. If you would like equitable and effective feedback from an experienced student which can  drastically increase your confidence, feel free to private message me for more info and to schedule Zoom prep meetings!

Here are my results from the 2022/2023 cycle:

Applied: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Accepted: UBC OT, UBC PT, UofA OT, UofT PT, UofT OT
Waitlisted:
Rejected: 
s-GPA: 3.87

Good luck everyone, I have a 100% student satisfaction rate so far so please don't hesitate to reach out for any support or guidance :) 

6 hours ago, Applicant0612 said:

Just out of curiosity, what has everyone scored on their CASPers and if there are any grad students here, has anyone gotten in with a lower quartile score (like 2nd)? I haven't received my score yet but I'm just trying to prepare myself for all outcomes

try not to stress too much! I know people who scored lower and still got accepted. It depends on the school but ultimately, is just one part of the application process! 

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofT and Western (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: c-gpa: 3.75, s-gpa: 3.98 (from ORPAS), 4th casper
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Received 4th quartile casper today from Jan 26th test date! Don't feel great about my Western SOI, definitely rushed it as I only decided to apply this cycle very last minute (otherwise wanted to take a year off first as I am graduating in April) which is also why I only applied to 2 schools. Hoping to apply to 6 schools next year if I apply again!

Experiences (as on Western personal submission): 400 hours Physio assistant and personal trainer in a private ortho clinic, 70 hours volunteering in a different ortho clinic, 112 hopsital volunteer hours as patient care and transport assistant, 216 hours volunteering with hands-on learning and cooking classes for children with disabilities, 312 hours research assistant in Kinesiology dept., 786 hours in a lead role in a vaccine clinic, 1080 hours retail position (athletic wear), plus a couple other small roles. 

9 minutes ago, msd_ptpt said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofT and Western (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: s-gpa: 3.98 (from ORPAS), 4th casper
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Received 4th quartile casper today from Jan 26th test date! Don't feel great about my Western SOI, definitely rushed it as I only decided to apply this cycle very last minute (otherwise wanted to take a year off first as I am graduating in April) which is also why I only applied to 2 schools. Hoping to apply to 6 schools next year if I apply again!

Experiences (as on Western personal submission): 400 hours Physio assistant and personal trainer in a private ortho clinic, 70 hours volunteering in a different ortho clinic, 112 hopsital volunteer hours as patient care and transport assistant, 216 hours volunteering with hands-on learning and cooking classes for children with disabilities, 312 hours research assistant in Kinesiology dept., 786 hours in a lead role in a vaccine clinic, 1080 hours retail position (athletic wear), plus a couple other small roles. 

Firstly your stats and experiences are incredible I would have high hopes if I were you :) and I just wanted to say your post made me smile because I had the exact same mindset as you last year ( in my undergrad, only applying to 2 schools and if I didn’t get in applying to more the other year). Made me smile to see :) best of luck to you this year seriously your stats are great! Wishing you the best of luck in the rest of your application journey.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:45 AM, NeedsamiraclePT said:

Yes I've checked my spam folder and it's not there :(. I've emailed Western...waiting to hear from them. Fingers crossed. 

Thought I'd provide an update in case anyone finds it helpful. Western PT replied and provided me with a login ID. Not sure what happened to the first email sent. If you also did not receive a login ID, I would suggest emailing Western PT for one. Good luck with your application! 

Hey guys,

I was accepted into Western for PT last cycle. I just want to let you guys know that you're all awesome and to never give up on your dreams, whether you want to become an OT or PT. The programs are competitive so do not get down on yourselves if you don't get in this year! If anyone has any questions about Western's PT program, I'd be more than happy to chat!

21 hours ago, NeedsamiraclePT said:

Thought I'd provide an update in case anyone finds it helpful. Western PT replied and provided me with a login ID. Not sure what happened to the first email sent. If you also did not receive a login ID, I would suggest emailing Western PT for one. Good luck with your application! 

What email did you send a message to?

On 2/21/2023 at 5:22 PM, Applicant0612 said:

Just out of curiosity, what has everyone scored on their CASPers and if there are any grad students here, has anyone gotten in with a lower quartile score (like 2nd)? I haven't received my score yet but I'm just trying to prepare myself for all outcomes

I got into Queen's and waitlisted at Western/McMaster with a 2nd quartile CASPer score last application cycle

Hi guys! I’ve been looking at this forum for a couple of years now for application tips for OT. I’m actually only in my second year of university but I’m planning on applying to OT once I get to fourth year. As such, I’m trying my best to prepare early on. Was wondering if there was anything you guys wish you knew before completing your application? Experiences you would pursue to help your application?

14 hours ago, gradschopeful said:

Hi guys! I’ve been looking at this forum for a couple of years now for application tips for OT. I’m actually only in my second year of university but I’m planning on applying to OT once I get to fourth year. As such, I’m trying my best to prepare early on. Was wondering if there was anything you guys wish you knew before completing your application? Experiences you would pursue to help your application?

That is great that you are planning early. There is not really anything that I wish I had done differently. I am fortunate that career preparation was actually part of my program's curriculum. This really helped me figure out what I needed to do to prepare for grad school. It makes it much easier to figure out what needs to be done well before applying. I would suggest starting to volunteer now at places that are meaningful to OT and also look out for job opportunities that fall in line with OT. As part of our career prep classes we actually got to do field placements so I did mine with an OT and the OT ended up hiring me as a rehab assistant. So yea always just look out for and seek opportunities. Also, keep up your marks! And I do not know how many classes you are doing now, but try to take multiple semesters of 5 courses (if you are able to). If you can keep your marks up and take 5 courses universities like to see this. Also, try to seek out other students who are also looking to apply to grad school in the future. Lastly, try to develop professional relationships with your profs and supervisors. I did this and it was actually hard for me to choose which profs/supervisors I wanted as referees because I had multiple profs randomly tell me that they looked forward to writing a reference for me lol. Hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else you are wondering about :) 

18 hours ago, gradschopeful said:

It's so great that you're looking into this early on! I did that as well and found that it gave me more than enough time to find volunteer experiences! In terms of applications, some schools require a CV or resume. I would recommend that for any work or volunteer experience you should write down your roles and responsibilities, and also anything that you did during that experience while you're actually doing it. I find that sometimes it's hard to think of all the stuff you did in those experiences after they're complete. Most of the applications were honestly pretty straight forward, except for UofA OT application. If you have any questions regarding UofA apps feel free to reach out to me! 

On 2/25/2023 at 5:02 PM, OThopeful23 said:

That is great that you are planning early. There is not really anything that I wish I had done differently. I am fortunate that career preparation was actually part of my program's curriculum. This really helped me figure out what I needed to do to prepare for grad school. It makes it much easier to figure out what needs to be done well before applying. I would suggest starting to volunteer now at places that are meaningful to OT and also look out for job opportunities that fall in line with OT. As part of our career prep classes we actually got to do field placements so I did mine with an OT and the OT ended up hiring me as a rehab assistant. So yea always just look out for and seek opportunities. Also, keep up your marks! And I do not know how many classes you are doing now, but try to take multiple semesters of 5 courses (if you are able to). If you can keep your marks up and take 5 courses universities like to see this. Also, try to seek out other students who are also looking to apply to grad school in the future. Lastly, try to develop professional relationships with your profs and supervisors. I did this and it was actually hard for me to choose which profs/supervisors I wanted as referees because I had multiple profs randomly tell me that they looked forward to writing a reference for me lol. Hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else you are wondering about :) 

Wow, thanks this was really helpful! I definitely need to start connecting with my profs more! Would you say that getting research experience is essential? I have heard lots of people say that this is important if you want to go to graduate school.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, HaadaOT said:

It's so great that you're looking into this early on! I did that as well and found that it gave me more than enough time to find volunteer experiences! In terms of applications, some schools require a CV or resume. I would recommend that for any work or volunteer experience you should write down your roles and responsibilities, and also anything that you did during that experience while you're actually doing it. I find that sometimes it's hard to think of all the stuff you did in those experiences after they're complete. Most of the applications were honestly pretty straight forward, except for UofA OT application. If you have any questions regarding UofA apps feel free to reach out to me! 

Thanks so much! I am planning on applying to UofA so I do know their application requires a bit more than the other schools! I know CASPer is part of the requirements (along with other schools) would you do anything to prepare for this?

2 hours ago, gradschopeful said:

Wow, thanks this was really helpful! I definitely need to start connecting with my profs more! Would you say that getting research experience is essential? I have heard lots of people say that this is important if you want to go to graduate school.

I wouldn't say it is the be all end all - however, it also depends on the program. Research experience won't hurt that is for sure! So if you are at a school right now that has research opportunities it would likely be beneficial for you. I got a position as a research assistant - unfortunately, the project that I was hired on for fizzled out before I even started so then I was transferred to an entirely different project which was kind of bizarre. However, it has been a great experience and I have learned a lot from it. The project I am working on now is on a peer-based active health prescription program. 
Also to answer your other question that you responded to another user regarding CASPer - I got together once a week, 2 or 3 months prior to the test, with classmates who were also taking it. We would come prepared with practice questions (or just pick random ones from the internet) and we practiced both writing and verbal responses and we discussed our answers after. It helped a lot (I got 4th quartile). I also highly recommend doing the practice test through the casper site (once you are registered) more than once to get familiar with the format.

2 hours ago, gradschopeful said:

Thanks so much! I am planning on applying to UofA so I do know their application requires a bit more than the other schools! I know CASPer is part of the requirements (along with other schools) would you do anything to prepare for this?

Yes for sure!! I did do the CASPer, along with UofA other schools like Western and UBC also require it. Personally, I was REALLLYY nervous for it. And I kept reading posts saying not to worry about it and that it's not something you can study for. Tbh I definitely think you can prepare for the CASPer. I feel like it's more about being able to articulate yourself and express your actions effectively. I did 4 weeks of prep, just like a couple questions each day using Prepmatch. I would also just ask my family to read over my responses and give me some feedback. For CASPer the most important thing is probably just understanding all perspectives and all sides without being judgemental. It seems kind of obvious but make sure you're portraying that you're non judgemental. Also try to improve your typing speed. You can do this by using online typing tests and just practicing typing faster than usual. I can type 60 WPM and I feel like it definitely helped me write longer responses for each question! Overall don't stress too much about CASPer, it's just one component of your application snd schools tend to look at your application holistically.