Premed 101 Forums

Rural surgery lifestyle

Without having personal experience but afaik, the hours are usually better. Their call burden is usually higher compared to an urban surgeon doing the exact same tasks because there tend to be fewer surgeons around to share the call burden but they also often have less admin/teaching/research responsibilities. However, often times the surgeons can hold many urgent but not emergent cases over until the next day and because there are fewer personnel and less turnover, things are more efficient. 

I think the biggest thing is cognitively there is less stress, because your job is primarily your patients and operating and complex cases you can refer out. With that being said you can also ramp up your responsibility, by taking administrative duties at your hospital or region if that ends up being your interest. 

• 3 weeks later...

I work semi-rural at a medium sized hospital in the US.  I picked this position after the usual training focused in academic centers after travelling for a while post-fellowship.  Though the US is a little different, most of the same factors apply. Lifestyle is good if not better. Cost of living to income is MUCH better. 

Most of us work in multi-subspecialty groups. Most places split call very similarly to academic centers.  Very very rarely are you the only surgeon in town. I have coverage for my patients when I'm away.

(The only truly solo positions are places where near-retirement surgeons go to pad up their funds.  They refer almost everything out and demand that the hospital pay them $1000-2000/call day--which the hospital does so they can meet whatever regulatory/funding commitment they made way-back-when to have Ortho on call).

Where I am, I can focus on developing the complex care pathways I want to develop and I enjoy while I can refer out the things I don't. I have a dedicated community supportive of investing in new tech so they don't need to commute hours for care. I am 100% free of academic stress though I do teach family med residents. I have the contacts to join research groups if I feel like doing that.

I'm considered a full partner by my colleagues not the junior partner. I entered practice as the GUY--not the associate.  

I do not see myself going back to academics.

(In the US, there's the added factor that the pay sucks in comparison urban v. rural -- think 30-50% lower. Even in Canada, those under serviced area premiums add up)

Downsides: I travel more to have fun.  I don't have kids but I hear schooling is an issue.  Partners and spouses have fewer opportunities. If you're single you get lonely.