Premed 101 Forums

Job availability for different specialties

I've taken a look at the carms report on residency matches and the number of spots that are available but can't really find a good resource for job availability after residency. Does anyone know what that looks like for specialities such as cardiology, cardiac surgery, emergency med, and obgyn? I would also really really appreciate it if you could point me to a site that includes this info. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Stressedfajita said:

I've taken a look at the carms report on residency matches and the number of spots that are available but can't really find a good resource for job availability after residency. Does anyone know what that looks like for specialities such as cardiology, cardiac surgery, emergency med, and obgyn? I would also really really appreciate it if you could point me to a site that includes this info. Thanks in advance!

Extremely hard to find that information - mostly because there is no central management for staffing levels - just local groups or hospitals doing their own thing. You don't know in advance when spots open up for retirement, job changes, shifting to  more or less of full time status, and so on. Not to mention all of that is in flux, and changes at scales faster usually than the timing for training - by the time you apply for and get into some of the specialities you mention, complete it and then do whatever extra fellowships are often required we are talking in the range of 7 years. We just don't and probably can't plan out that far - particularly if you subset it things into local sites etc. 

There is some useful information though that CMS has - a lot of tracking for instance of physician age (people have to retire at some point) as an example - https://www.cma.ca/sites/default/files/2019-11/2019-03-spec-age.pdf

The other complexity is that often fields can be over or under working as well - people can end up working less than they want for instance but they are working. Hard to track that and assign any kind of number to it. 

Most of this information is usually obtained by talking to people in the later aspect of their residency program or staff (at least for the current state). It comes out of networking to a large degree. For instance as a radiologist I know our job market relatively well, particularly for my subspecialty. Most fellowship directors are extremely well versed in the current landscape.