Premed 101 Forums

B.Sc in Biomedical Science

Bhasha

I got accepted in B.Sc Biology , Biomedical Science, and Kinesiology and Health Science at York. I am really confused what to pick? My goal is to become a physician one day so I am looking at a course that fulfills all the prerequisite required for MCAT but also to pick a course that will help me to maintain good GPA and give me enough time to build up my extra curricular activities and volunteer work  ( as that is an important component for the medical application too). Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. or if you can recommend any other course that I should apply that can fulfill all the above requirements.

I'm from Quebec and took Exercise Science (Kin) and got into med after attaining straight A's. It wasn't difficult but the material was voluminous and I had to work consistently hard throughout my studies to maintain high grades. I enjoyed the program, it prepared me well for medicine. I was not required to do the MCAT so unable to comment on that aspect. Good Luck!  

• 4 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 9:01 PM, Bhasha said:

I got accepted in B.Sc Biology , Biomedical Science, and Kinesiology and Health Science at York. I am really confused what to pick? My goal is to become a physician one day so I am looking at a course that fulfills all the prerequisite required for MCAT but also to pick a course that will help me to maintain good GPA and give me enough time to build up my extra curricular activities and volunteer work  ( as that is an important component for the medical application too). Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. or if you can recommend any other course that I should apply that can fulfill all the above requirements.

I did biomed at York and loved it. There isn't too much of a difference between Biology and Biomedical Science degrees at York, I think most of the differences are in the 3rd and 4th year classes where the Biomed degree checklists are a bit more strict in which courses you can take in those upper years. Otherwise, they are very similar. I think there is good study-life balance at York so you should be able to explore extracurriculars in any major you choose. I also have friends who did Kin at York and are also now in medicine. There is a decent amount of overlap b/w Kin and Bio/Biomed courses as well. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about biomed at York.

All the best and enjoy your undergrad!