Premed 101 Forums

2023 CaRMS - Especially toxic, or is it just me?

I don't know whether it is just me, but I have been experiencing so much stress and negativity from this CaRMS cycle ... And I have already matched and am blissfully enjoying residency.

My friends who are either at their first cycle, either haven't matched alongside me, have reported sabotage from peers, even friends at an alarming rate. People who I thought were well adjusted and level-headed have resorted to lies and manipulation to undermine chances of close friends to match to certain specialties. I understand that, unfortunately, there always has been a level of unhealthy competitiveness in medicine, and I have seen it happening previously, but never at this rate and never among people who appeared normal until the Match.

Generally, the people who were aggressive and competitive during med school, remained aggressive and competitive during the Match.

I've understood that even programs who have a history of unfilled places after first and second round have been receiving a record number of applications this year. So maybe we have reached the next level of Match stress.

What are your experiences? And how do you promote a healthy, sane ambience among your friends going through the Match?