Premed 101 Forums

First day of CaRMS interviews :(

tahty

Had my first CaRMS interview today. Not sure how to feel about it. Some answers were fine but definitely mumbled and stumbled my way through some. 

I'm not the best interviewee, I get real nervous and mess up. Other people I've talked to so far think their interviews have gone great and I'm worried I won't match.

Not sure what I'm looking for by making this post -- I guess some validation that I might still match even if all my interviews feel so-so? How is one supposed to feel after these anyways?

Sometimes you'll know because the interviewers nod vigorously and smile at the end of your answers and interviews. Other times you just get a nice soft ball question at the end that you nail or you really get along with your interviewers. Those are good signs.

Sometimes you don't do that well, you have a few questions you don't have a great answer for. I think its normal to have one or two that you had to stumble through a bit. I wouldn't worry much you'll do fine. The people that worry tend to do well because they prepare more. 

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it - thinking back to the med school interview days, people's impression of how well their interview went doesn't always correlate with the reality of it. I think it's best to focus on trying to brush up on whatever answers didn't go as well, and just do your best to move on. That's what I'm trying to do at least lol

32 minutes ago, jb24 said:

Just go with the flow, you'll be fine. Don't overthink and don't compare yourself to others. The algorithm works in your favour. I'm religious, so praying helped.

Thanks

Now that you mention it, I've definitely been comparing myself to other candidates, especially during socials when we interact. Will try to just focus on me

During socials, everyone is trying to put their best out and fighting to get a question out. Honestly I tend to stay low key during socials, have a visual contact, nod my head and laugh if the situation allows it. 

Social events are mainly there to discriminate red flags. If someone is being not appropriate. You should shine during your interviews.

As I’m writing these lines, I’m not in a better place. I am anxious too and I think we all are. We won’t know until March 22nd if it worked out or not. Let’s just do our best and go forward.

Best of lucks to everyone!

8 hours ago, Hirschsprung said:

During socials, everyone is trying to put their best out and fighting to get a question out. Honestly I tend to stay low key during socials, have a visual contact, nod my head and laugh if the situation allows it. 

Social events are mainly there to discriminate red flags. If someone is being not appropriate. You should shine during your interviews.

As I’m writing these lines, I’m not in a better place. I am anxious too and I think we all are. We won’t know until March 22nd if it worked out or not. Let’s just do our best and go forward.

Best of lucks to everyone!

True. Socials don't matter that much in my personal experience. I never went to them and I matched first choice to a competitive specialty. 

Just enjoy the ride, almost there friends. 

Been a few days of interviews now and not sure how great it's going.

For a lotta the questions, especially the ethical/scenario-based ones, the content of my answer might be okay but I get really nervous and stutter and stumble through it.

How important is delivery of an answer? Will I go unranked if I stutter my way through an interview? 

I have a hard time controlling it, especially when I'm nervous and am getting seriously concerned no program is gonna rank me, let alone high

1 hour ago, hiyayosup said:

For a lotta the questions, especially the ethical/scenario-based ones, the content of my answer might be okay but I get really nervous and stutter and stumble through it.

How important is delivery of an answer? Will I go unranked if I stutter my way through an interview? 

I have a hard time controlling it, especially when I'm nervous and am getting seriously concerned no program is gonna rank me, let alone high

Hey! might be worth practicing taking a deep breath before answering or in the middle of an answer. Can give yourself some time by saying: "oh that's a great question. ~deep breath~ blah blah blah." might help? also put up a post-it note to remind yourself, especially if it's with the more storytelling/ethical ones. 

In terms of "how important delivery is" - I'd say that delivery is the way you effectively share your answer/thoughts. I do not think it's what will make you go unranked, especially if you are a strong applicant and you have intelligent things to say. But I think if you can work on your nerves (breathing, practice, exercise) it will be overall better for how you feel and how effective you are in sharing what you have to say!

From my perspective, I also find that I'm kinda blacking out in the second-half/last third of my interviews. CaRMS is hard and I'm trying to give myself some grace.

33 minutes ago, RD2BE said:

Hey! might be worth practicing taking a deep breath before answering or in the middle of an answer. Can give yourself some time by saying: "oh that's a great question. ~deep breath~ blah blah blah." might help? also put up a post-it note to remind yourself, especially if it's with the more storytelling/ethical ones. 

In terms of "how important delivery is" - I'd say that delivery is the way you effectively share your answer/thoughts. I do not think it's what will make you go unranked, especially if you are a strong applicant and you have intelligent things to say. But I think if you can work on your nerves (breathing, practice, exercise) it will be overall better for how you feel and how effective you are in sharing what you have to say!

From my perspective, I also find that I'm kinda blacking out in the second-half/last third of my interviews. CaRMS is hard and I'm trying to give myself some grace.

Thank you for this

I've tried much of this but I still get so nervous. It just sucks cause I stuttered through my most desired interview. 

Just feeling hopeless

also for solidarity - I completely fumbled two questions during my psych interview today and required prompting as I initially provided a tangential example rather answering the specifics of the question. It hurts but I'm trying to reframe it as a learning experience and that I'll be better prepared and more mindful of the question prompts in the future *shrug* (as hard as that is to do in practice!)

On 2/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, hiyayosup said:

I think it's more in your positivity. I would aim to show up as the most joyful version of yourself and being really happy to be at the interview. Tell yourself, "I /get/ to interview to be a doctor!" and it will shine through.