Premed 101 Forums

Could not speak to something in my app -- will I be blacklisted?

chicka

Hoping I'm overthinking this but would welcome opinions --

Had an interview today, overall average. During one of the panels, interviewers asked their predetermined questions and then in the last minute, asked about an interest I had listed in my application in a specific way rather than just "tell me about this." At first I didn't understand and said I was not familiar and then realized what they were referencing but by then the conversation had veered off course. It came across like I couldn't speak to this item on my application (and maybe I couldn't speak to the specifics they had mentioned, but I would have been able to say something). 

This was not a very big/formal item in my app (not a research or EC item, etc.), more of an interest. I know we should be able to speak to everything in our app, and so I've accepted that this blunder might have sunk that interview for me. Will it blacklist me from other programs too (not sure if PDs for a specialty talk before creating their ROL and if something like this would impact me negatively across the country). 

Really hoping I'm being overly anxious, but you never know with CaRMS 

12 minutes ago, shikimate said:

I doubt they'll even remember this detail when they're ranking you, assuming they were busy interviewing many other applicants that day.

That would be great

When I was prepping, everyone stressed how important it is to speak to everything in your app and how it can be a huge red flag, etc. if you can't so this is helpful

Hey OP, don't sweat it. Like @shikimate has said, I also doubt they'll remember the details. I think probably what matters most is the overall impression you've left with the interviewers – if they have a "good" feeling about you, you will likely rank well. Having said that though, this may be different for larger programs that have to interview 100+ people. For such cases, I wonder if they use a little more rigorous method of assessing applicants in the moment. But honestly, all these speculations are meaningless. Best use of our time and thoughts is to reflect, learn from the previous interviews, maintain confidence, and focus on the next interview. CaRMS will do its own thing and hopefully it's within our favour!