Premed 101 Forums

Pay gap between GIM and FM

anon5678

15 hours ago, anon5678 said:

Is there a big difference between the two? On average? In terms of median?

GIM staff here,

This a very hard to say without knowing more info like are you asking to compare Hospital/acute care based (which is the majority of what/how GIM practice) vs comprehensive/outpatient Family medicine practice (or anyone in Family medicine whether they do ER, Hospitalist or other)? Full time for both or part-time time for both? etc...

Yeah sorry for the lack of specifiers. How aboht for hospitalist GIM vs FM doing comprehensive care both in an urban setting and both full time. And non academic position.

What does the average FT GIM hospitalist work consist of? How many hours a week? How many weeks a year? What would be the range of gross billing for this sort of situation.

And how about the same for a FT FM doing comprehensive care in an urban setting and only that? Suppose 9-5, 5 days a week and 48 weeks of the year, with between 25-40  patients a day.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:40 PM, anon5678 said:

Yeah sorry for the lack of specifiers. How aboht for hospitalist GIM vs FM doing comprehensive care both in an urban setting and both full time. And non academic position.

What does the average FT GIM hospitalist work consist of? How many hours a week? How many weeks a year? What would be the range of gross billing for this sort of situation.

And how about the same for a FT FM doing comprehensive care in an urban setting and only that? Suppose 9-5, 5 days a week and 48 weeks of the year, with between 25-40  patients a day.

I can't comment on FM pay in that setting at all.

but GIM doing *only* hospitalist (i.e. no ER consults, no urgent GIM clinic, no inpatient med consults to non-medicine services), working 36+ weeks a year (which I guess would be considered full time) could make roughly 350-400k. This range is variable and could be on the higher end, though its hard for me to say as there are other details that are important too, such as:

- are they working at least 2 weekends a month? (weekends are when you make more money especially with a large patient volume)

- are they doing any hospitalist/ward evening call? (again make more money if you do this and if you do alot of this)

- How large are the patient lists? Are they covering others lists on the weekends and how many patients? (more patients more $)

- Are they covering wards with high turnover (more money with newer patients vs patients that have been in hospital for a long time)