Premed 101 Forums

Mental burnout in radiology

Whatever the mental load and level of sincerity of this particular question (not doubting this btw), let me just say, as someone with zero interest in Rads, I do appreciate the theme of How Difficult/Bad is Radiology we have been enjoying lately after the CaRMs competitiveness data came out. 

For further exploration may I suggest:

Carpal Tunnel and Radiology - A Horrible Fact of Life?

Eye Strain in Radiology - Worse than Amputation?

If Sitting is Worse than Smoking then what is Radiology?

Since the CARMS match results from this cycle came out, I’ve started seeing a string of low-effort posts trying to throw shade at the field, or more specifically at the training programs. If these questions are coming from an individual who is curious and interested about the field, I apologize for my assumptions - you may PM me any questions about the specialty and I’ll be glad to reply. If there are other motives to these questions, I hope you realize that the CARMS radiology selection process (as with other specialties) is not exactly a zero sum game. Given the number of applicants, I don’t see any attempts at dissuading one or two of them from considering this as a career choice to be moving the needle for your (OP’s) application. 

Scep.

For people who don't know any better, the mental load of doing radiology is not equivalent to do MCAT everyday. To even suggest so is preposterous as radiologists would just retire after 4-5 years of practice. 

Like everything in medicine or life, radiology gets easier and easier as you gain more years of experience and a routine. And each study takes less of a mental toll. 

14 hours ago, have said:

Is it true that radiology shift is equal to the mental load of writing the MCAT exam every day?

6 hours ago, hero147 said:

For people who don't know any better, the mental load of doing radiology is not equivalent to do MCAT everyday. To even suggest so is preposterous as radiologists would just retire after 4-5 years of practice. 

Like everything in medicine or life, radiology gets easier and easier as you gain more years of experience and a routine. And each study takes less of a mental toll. 

Ha!

Maybe it is even like writing an MCAT every day but that doesn't to me at least mean anything. The mental load of doing the MCAT for the first time but everyday? No, as a practicing radiologist that makes no sense to me either. However if you actually did write the MCAT everyday how long would it before the MCAT stopped being mentally exhausting. Residency alone is 5 years :) - after while even solving complex radiology problems isn't as cognitively stressful. 

It requires concentration and I have to take focused not to make mistakes. I don't however leave my shifts so mentally exhausted I cannot do anything else for the day.