Premed 101 Forums

Realistic chance of transferring into dermatology

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has successfully transferred into derm in residency. I understand the process varies by each school and home program, but wondering if there are any success stories on here to help me find hope, as I was someone who applied derm and didn't get it (got into IM at a "well-known" school). Thank you in advance

Unless you happen to have some serious connections, realistically the answer is no. Dermatology is such a small speciality it's a gamble if even a single spot would open up across the country. Even if one were to open up, I imagine the competition would be fierce from people across a number of PGY levels/specialties, some of whom may have connections to the program.

The most sure chance you may have is if you were able to convince the program to create a supernumary position for you (or purposefully set aside a position for you in a given year's match - i.e., if they have an IMG position, not rank anyone and then have you apply to it in the 2nd round when it opens up to all applicants). But that would require connections.

It has happened before but it is very rare and is often applicants who had very strong applications/connections but perhaps missed the mark by just a margin or just happened to be in a extremely competitive year. Regardless these are applicants a program wants and is willing to make accommodations for said individuals.

There are dermatopathologists in the GTA area who did a pathology residency, did dermpath fellowship and worked as dermpath for a bit, then started derm residency at Toronto. I guess working as dermpath there must've got them some connections. It's a long winding way to get to derm but if that's your life goal I guess people are willing to go for it.