Premed 101 Forums

How to convert percent grades into GPA

Hey everyone!

I am planning on applying to U of T and Western's Dental schools in the fall and I am super confused on how to convert my percent grades into the GPA scale for U of T. 

My percent grades for each year so far are as follows:

1st year - 88.7%

2nd year - 84.9%

3rd year - 90.2%

I would assume that for U of T (which takes my top 3 years) I would have a average grade of 87.93% (which is like a 3.9 converted?)

However, when I do the conversion scales online, it makes me convert each individual course grade into a GPA before I calculate the average. This disregards all my course marks that were 95%+ and places a heavy weight on the 3 or 4 courses that I received an 85 and below on. 

Can anyone tell me what my actual GPA would be?

Thanks 

It is a bit complex the first time you do it - GPA is not converted directly from your average - you complete the GPA per course and then averages that - like what you are doing. 

and you are right - in fact that is the entire point of GPA. It is designed to not just evaluate for high performance but consistent high performance which is exactly why single low grades can mess you up. Many schools have ways of getting around that built into the admission system, but it is overall way better to have all 85% grade than everything at 99% and one course that is say a C (even if the later gives you a higher average).