Premed 101 Forums

UBC for IP or stay in US for Undergrad

I have the option to transfer to UBC with second year standing or finish my undergrad degree in the States with 3rd year standing. My question is: is it worth relocating to BC for the in-province status? I should have a GPA around 90%, and haven't taken MCAT yet. I'm also an international student in the States but I am getting permanent residency in Canada. From my perspective, these are the pros of each choice:

Pros of moving to BC:

• In province status for UBC
  • Slightly lower tuition

Pros of staying in US:

• Already established connections and extracurriculars
  • Shadowing and applying to DO

An alternative choice is to finish my degree in the US and move to BC after for my master's and IP. What would be the best option?

I am assuming you wish to ultimately practice medicine in Canada and not in the US. Assuming this to be the case, in my view, you have to become a Permanent Resident ASAP, to enter the Canadian educational system, to become IP and to apply to medical school in Canada (not relying upon acceptance at the specific school of your choice).

My personal view is that I would only consider practicing medicine in the US as a last resort. Given their love of guns, the students routinely killed for absolutely on reason in schools and colleges, I would not want to raise my children in such an environment, given a choice. I am happy practicing here in Canada. So, for me it is a no brainer where to practice and therefore, it makes sense to start the journey in Canada sooner rather than later. You would want to apply to medical school as a PR and it would be easier to apply from Canada, so I would start the process ASAP in my long term best interests. I really don't see the point of going for a Masters if medicine is your goal. My earlier one word reply was based upon this thinking. Good luck! :P