Premed 101 Forums

Physiotherapy

So I'm currently accepted in both Mcgil and Udem for Physiotherapy. My final goal is Medicine and I'd like to know which university is more likely to lead me to my goal. I think I grasped the difference in the contents of both universities so that's not the problem, I'll probably enjoy the curriculum of both schools. I'm just a bit worried on the GPA end, I heard that a 4.0/4.0 at Mcgill is not the same as 4.3/4.3 at UDEM. Actually I heard that a 4.0/4.0 is a 4.0/4.3 at Udem since it's 85% in both schools to get a 4.0. Consequently, any other grades will also be disadvantaged, a 3.8/4.0 would be good but if converted, it'll be a 3.8/ 4.3 at udem which isn't ideal. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advices!

The problem is that what I've heard is not verified or based on anything. I'm asking precisely because I don't know or am unsure. Would you know if PT in both Uni gives you the same chances for getting in Med? Even though I said that I wouldn't mind the program at both schools, if I really had to choose, it would be McGill since I live 5 minutes away from the campus as opposed to 40 minutes from UdeM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, Gangstalicious said:

So I'm currently accepted in both Mcgil and Udem for Physiotherapy. My final goal is Medicine and I'd like to know which university is more likely to lead me to my goal. I think I grasped the difference in the contents of both universities so that's not the problem, I'll probably enjoy the curriculum of both schools. I'm just a bit worried on the GPA end, I heard that a 4.0/4.0 at Mcgill is not the same as 4.3/4.3 at UDEM. Actually I heard that a 4.0/4.0 is a 4.0/4.3 at Udem since it's 85% in both schools to get a 4.0. Consequently, any other grades will also be disadvantaged, a 3.8/4.0 would be good but if converted, it'll be a 3.8/ 4.3 at udem which isn't ideal. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advices!

Hi, 

Are you actually doing a Master or an undergraduate program? I'm in kinesiology and I will apply for physiotherapy. How did you find the program and what is your GPA? Do you think volunteering (rehab hospital) and research work (few works with my name on it... coming soon) can help for admission?

Thank youu

On 8/28/2023 at 7:43 PM, Gangstalicious said:

The problem is that what I've heard is not verified or based on anything. I'm asking precisely because I don't know or am unsure. Would you know if PT in both Uni gives you the same chances for getting in Med? Even though I said that I wouldn't mind the program at both schools, if I really had to choose, it would be McGill since I live 5 minutes away from the campus as opposed to 40 minutes from UdeM.

What you've heard is right, at least for UL. On their website it states: 

La moyenne est convertie selon le principe suivant : chaque cote sous forme de lettre (A+, A, A-, B+, B, B‑, …) est considérée équivalente d’une université à l’autre. Ainsi, un A dans l’université de provenance de l’étudiant équivaudra à un A à l’Université Laval. La conversion de la valeur numérique d’une moyenne se fait de façon linéaire entre les valeurs de chaque cote : une moyenne qui équivaut à un peu plus de B dans l’université d’origine sera convertie à une moyenne un peu supérieure à B à l’Université Laval. Voici quelques exemples:

Exemple 1: Un étudiant en provenance de l’Université d’Ottawa a une moyenne de 7. Dans le barème de cette université, cela correspond à un B+. La moyenne de cet étudiant sera convertie en un B+ ici à l’Université Laval, ce qui équivaut à 3,33.

Exemple 2: Un étudiant en provenance de l’Université McGill a une moyenne de 3,65. Dans le barème de cette université, cela correspond à une cote entre un B+ et un A-, un peu plus près du A-. La moyenne de cet étudiant sera convertie en une cote entre le B+ et le A- dans notre système de notation.

Given that A+ (4.3) doesn't exist on the McGill scale, your A (4.0/4.0) at McGill would never be an A+ (4.3/4.3) at UL, it would be worth an A (4.0/4.3). 

However, I know someone who studied pharmacology (which has a weaker IDF than PT) at McGill and got into medicine at UdeM last year, so I don't know if UdeM converts the grades the same way UL and UdeS do, but it is still possible to get into medicine coming from McGill. Keep in mind that they also check your CASPer to invite you to the MEM, and then they check your MEM.  

• 1 month later...

If you want to become a doctor after you finish your physiotherapy degree, there are some things you should think about. McGill University is famous around the world, and that might help you get into medical school. But UDEM might give you a better GPA for your physiotherapy classes. To decide which one is better for you, look at the things you can do outside of class, like clubs or research.