Premed 101 Forums

Is it bad to take 4 courses a courses a semester and 2 in summer school?

Generally not a good idea - the schools are looking for you to complete a standardized block of courses of 5.0 credits per year. Some places will let you do 4 standard courses in one term and 6 in another and have it count. I keep saying standardized courses as some courses are worth more or less than normal. 

All this is supposed to promote some version of standardization and therefore fairness (of course you can argue that all the courses are not the same so this breaks down at some point, but you have to do something). 

As rmorelan says, not a good idea. It is normal to be somewhat fearful when you are about to go through the difficult transition from h.s. to undergrad. You need to jump in, embrace your new circumstances, have good study habits, develop time and stress management skills, and have no distractions in your first year that can derail you academically, e.g., do not create a relationship with a significant other who is needy of your time and energy.

After all, if you are unable to handle the rigours of a normal course load, how to do expect to be able to handle medical school. When I was in undergraduate school, I took a program that interested me and each and every semester, by the end, I was totally drained - as all my energies were focused on my studies. However, the icing on the cake was that I became a straight A student which was the springboard to entering medical school. It wasn't easy, no short cuts. I was highly motivated, kept my eye on the ball, I lost all my friends as I was constantly studying, but the prize was worth it! :P Good Luck!